Ex Bats wont roost

1eyejer

Songster
10 Years
Jun 18, 2009
Prince Edward Island
Hello, I have some ex bats and i have had some trouble getting then to roost..i realize that they never were able to roost before they came to me, I added a rooster and most of them followed him on the roost but there is a few who stay on the floor in the corner..i had built some nesting boxes for them but all they did was stay in the nests and poop in them all night, leaving me with very dirty eggs, can anyone suggest a way to get them to roost..sometimes i even go in at night and pick them off the floor and place them on the roost next to the others, but they just jump off .I have all the nesting boxes closed off for now in hopes that they will start to roost...Thanks

Quote:
Afraid you're already doing it, close off nests at night, place them on the roosts, repeatedly, until they give in and go on their own. You do need to open them up for the day.

Good for you for tackling this project.

what about making a low roost for them to help them learn? just a thought- i also have a couple pullets that have a box they prefer over the roost-

The roost I have for my rescue meaties is only about 6 inches off the floor. Sometimes they use it, but usually prefer piling all together on the floor to sleep. I don't have a problem with them sleeping in the nestboxes though. They seemed to have figured out that those are for laying eggs only. Dawn has given you good advice on dealing with that particular issue.

Back
Top Bottom