Excited to begin

skylerw

In the Brooder
May 25, 2016
I have 12 ducks and 12 chickens we live on a 46 acre piece of land I'm trying to make our first homestead and we have five in head first with 12 ducks and 12 chickens and also started a garden this year we also have a pond for the ducks and I would like to free range everything any and all help is appreciated biggest dilemma right now is when to let my new chicks and ducks out to free range and how to get them to come home at night or in case of predators

welcome-byc.gif
Great to have another poultry lover!
I want ducks so bad. Especially because when they're ducklings they are the cutest things ever!

Hi and welcome to BYC. Not sure about ducks (but feel free to ask on the "Duck" forum), but i generally keep new chickens in "lockdown" in the coop for 2-3 days - with food and water, of course and then let them out. By that time they will know where "home" is and will return at dusk to the coop. Unless they are next to the coop, they will go there in case of predators - they will find the closest place to hide and stay there.

It might be worth checking out the "predators and pests" forums to see how best you can provide cover for your flock while free-ranging. You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre
https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center, and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you.

All the best
CT

Welcome!! I plan on letting my duckling and chicks out around the same time, they've all grown attached to each other so I think one or the other would end up panicking if I let one out before the other.

jumpy.gif

Ducks found the pond and they know their way home at night we just have to coax them a lil bit

Back
Top Bottom