Excited to start learning how to raise some girls for our family!

donkie07

Hatching
6 Years
Jan 24, 2013
Hi all! I really want to raise some chickens for our family's egg needs but I know absolutely nothing. Any advice on some beginner basics I can read up on? Thanks in advance!

welcome-byc.gif
from California! This forum will tell you everything you need to know: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Build your coop strong and secure and use hardware cloth (very strong wire with 1/4 inch holes) not chicken wire, it keeps chickens in but predators can tear through it easily. Also, make the coop and run bigger than you think you will need, you will probably end up getting more chickens than you thought. Good luck!

My advice: the more you know BEFORE you purchase your birds, the better prepared you will be, and the more money invested the longer your equipment will hold up. The same with the birds... the cheaper you go, the less quality you receive. Anyways welcome to BYC!

Greetings from Kansas, donkie07, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you in our flock! I agree with the above posts. Fortunately, BYC is the best place to pick up the information and knowledge you need. Peruse the various forums, ask questions and you'll be prepared in no time! Best of luck to you.

Back
Top Bottom