Experienced duck owners advice needed

Any ideas what i should give her to help? Would ACV help or elecrolites? She also hasnt layed since sunday.

While not laying *could be* just from moving back and forth, I'd be concerned since 2 others have/had issues... electrolytes are always helpful especially if she isn't drinking a lot, but I wouldn't give ACV if she is sick... the acidity can strip out good gut bacteria along with bad and she'll need all the good stuff she can keep in her...

It would be best to take her to the vet. If you can't do that, get a scale and weigh her daily. If losing weight, she's sick. 

-Kathy

X2

Watch the weight, definitely... Kathy gives excellent advice... :)

One could hope, that would be the best outcome, but one of three is on Baytril, another was given Tylan, and now the third one is acting sick. Best thing to do is to get a baseline weight and monitor very closely. Maybe she picked up something at the duck sitter, maybe it's nothing. 

@duckymum
 , can you post a picture of her poop?

-Kathy

Ill have to see which one her poop is! Its only 2 that are ill, this one is the one that was given tylan at the sitters. Ill watch her weight carefully and see if i can get a pic of poop!

Ill have to see which one her poop is! Its only 2 that are ill, this one is the one that was given tylan at the sitters. Ill watch her weight carefully and see if i can get a pic of poop!

Can you give the vet a call that put your drake on Baytril? If she was only give Tylan twice then started acting better, then it sounds like it wasn't given long enough to finish the job... Tylan may or may not work now as whatever it is might have built up immunity to it (this is why we're always told to finish all antibiotics we get prescribed, btw)...

Quote: Thanks for clarifying that, 'cause I misread it.
hide.gif
It would also be good to know which Tylan was used (50, 200, or powder), how much was given, and if injected, where was it it injected, because Tylan injections can cause *serious* injection site necrosis.

-Kathy

How much powder was given in the water? And did she appear to drink the water?

-Kathy

Happy update!!! Kaz, the medicated duck, is up and about with the rest of the flock which has picked up the spirits of the black and white duck and she is no longer hiding her nose! She is up and about and quacking like a trooper! Thank you for advice! If it happens again with any of the ducks ill be following your instructions!

Back
Top Bottom