Explain the Brower Brooder I got at the dump for $5...

PrairieFarmer

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 18, 2011
So I picked up an old style Brower Brooder at the dump. They don't apparently carry this model anymore so I can't find a manual. It does seem in pretty good shape and appears to work!
But couple questions from a newby to a brooder like this...
#1 - There is a cloth screen that hangs down past the red brooder light/heating element and separates that area from the main run. There are only a few (maybe 3?) inch width between the heating element and the hanging cloth. Then lots of run space on the other side of the cloth. Are the chicks suppose to hang out to get warm between the cloth and the heating element? Will they push past the cloth? Or is the cloth these to keep them from getting close to it? It does seem pretty hot. On the other hand, worried it won't be warm enough on the other side. Which leads to question two...
#2 - The sides of the brooder I have are mesh screens, open to draft. I see in some of the newer models it looks like they have a solid panel that you could slip in and, I assume, close it up to make warmer and then remove as needed. I'm sure I could cut some plywood to fit in those and close off the sides. Should I do so?
Any thoughts much appreciated!

I found this little bit of info, but it may be for a newer model: http://www.browerequip.com/products/brower/chickbdr/chickbdr.pdf
Step
18 mentions 2 screens and 2 covers to be used depending on your needs; to stop drafts or to allow ventilation. I don't see anything about a drop cloth, but I only scanned the pages briefly. Maybe if you called or emailed Brower?...

Phone: 1-800-553-1791 or 319-469-4141
FAX: 319-469-4402
E-Mail: [email protected]

Thanks. I found that pdf too it just didn't seem to tell me how the thing actually worked - just how to put it together. Has nobody had experience with these type brooders?

It looks similar to mine, tho mine is another manufacturer. I'd guess the cloth screen is to keep the chicks from actually touching the hot lamps. I know the bulbs in mine get pretty hot! I have no issues with the temperature not staying warm enough. Actually, now that they are older, I have trouble getting the temp to lower! I have a digital reptile thermometer with the sensor wired under the floor in front of the bulbs and if I can get the temp below 90, I'm lucky! The side panels are to regulate heat. You can close, partially open or remove them, as needed. Mine didn't have the covers, but I just used heavy cardboard to block the sides, if needed.

Hope this helps. Great deal on the brooder!

Back
Top Bottom