Explaining Chicken Math

I'm new here, and new to having chickens. We started off a few weeks ago with the idea that "wouldn't it be nice to hatch a couple of chicks as a fun homeschooling activity for the boys?" I decided we should get one of the tiny brinsea incubators and hatch 5 or so. Of course DH decides that this is clearly not enough, so he buys the GFQ hovabator with 42 egg capacity. So okay I say go ahead and get a dozen eggs, as we found someone just out of town who was selling ISA Brown eggs for $5 a dozen. So of course DH comes home with TWO dozen just in case some don't hatch.

Unfortunately we live in a city that doesn't allow any chickens at all, so after our chickies get big enough they are off to our friend's parents farm where we can visit and pick up some free eggs for breakfast. Not too sure what we'll/they'll do with any roos though as I was reading another post on here that said ISA browns aren't worth processing for meat..

We just candled them for the last time before lockdown and saw 22 out of 23 moving! (one of our 24 eggs was infertile) Hopefully that's a good sign! Wish me lots of fuzzy luck. Hopefully by Friday/Saturday I'll be a mama all over again. :)
Welcome fellow Canadian..... Make sure you call the city or town before signing your puchase agreement... we were looking at a place, but one side of the road was zoned agri and the other was residential.... we were looking a a house on the chicken unfriendly side... stopped us really quick... also did a search online re: bylaw restrictions only to find out that bylaw is not posted on line and it would cost $60 to have them search that bylaw for an answer...
Tricky thing this moving for the hobby\obsession of chickens...
Good luck Patricia

Goats are herd animals and having only one will have them bleating non-stop trying to find a herd. If they got a secnd it would be quieter, but worse in every other way sadly.

This is really funny to me!!!

I want 6 hens, and I have 2 other friends that want 4-6 hens. I was going to order 2 dozen in the hopes that we'd end up with 14-18 pullets. But I wanted 5 different breeds and ordered one each of the ones I didn't order as many from just to make sure that I got myself a hen.

So when I started with the idea of 6 hens, I now have 28 day old chicks arriving to me in a month's time.

What if there are 28 Roos!!!! :)

Honestly? You should have ordered all pullets. I ordered fifteen pullets, already hsee one roo (which Iam okay with).
"Serious" seriously? you will have to order more chicks! That is what happened to me!!

This is really funny to me!!!

I want 6 hens, and I have 2 other friends that want 4-6 hens. I was going to order 2 dozen in the hopes that we'd end up with 14-18 pullets. But I wanted 5 different breeds and ordered one each of the ones I didn't order as many from just to make sure that I got myself a hen.

So when I started with the idea of 6 hens, I now have 28 day old chicks arriving to me in a month's time.

What if there are 28 Roos!!!! :)

Then I suppose youll have to order 28 more. Makes sense to me!

But really I would have ordered sexed pullets also. Your chances of getting a roo that way is very slim. I ordered 12 pullets and got 12 pullets
big_smile.png
. But again this is chicken math and there is not explaining it really lol.

Unfortunately, where I live in isolated Canada that costs $120 for a ferry ride to a from civilization - the chance of finding Americauna pullets is pretty slim, I felt very fortunate to have found a farm that does day olds! The US postal situation is so much better :)

I was looking in the "Buy Sell Trade" , and saw a guy that wanted 2 chicks for his DD's birthday. He ended up with six. Ha ha! He was introduced to chicken math in a hurry!

Back
Top Bottom