Exposed brains on hatchling?!

Firewithin

In the Brooder
Apr 22, 2015
This took me by surpise and I have little hope that it will make it through the night. I'd love some advice/feedback. But just to be clear, I'm giving it a chance and it's been left in the incubator.
(Pics below)

Some info on our eggs:
Temperatures between 100-102
Humidity at 45 (72-75 during lockdown).
I had a clutch of 17 silkie eggs in the bator. One was infertile from day one. One died at day seven and another on day 14. Then, on lockdown, the incubator temps spiked sharply (106 degrees- without warning) which brought an early hatch on day 20 (yesterday). We had 10 strong healthy silkies hatch. Two more died in the shell during the process, and now we have two remaining chicks who are out of the shell but with noticable problems: the exposed brain chick and then one who has a swollen abdomen where the umbilical cord was/is still attached.

This is my second hatch ever, and first with lil silkies. The bator was borrowed.

Anyway, what are your thoughts on the chick in question? Is this common? Also, his lower beak juts out just a hair, so i think his deformity might be more than just the exposed brains. -sigh-

What a shame. The colors are lovely.

The beak is formed from days 6-16, the head before that. That leads me to believe you may have either had an interrupted incubation (started due to hot weather or being left in a nest under a hen for a few days, then collected, cooled, and reset) or an undetected incubator issue early on. Foam incubators have hot spots and cooler spots and this one may have been in a hot spot.

I don't hold out much hope for the chick due to the likelihood of infection, and the total lack of protection for the brain.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's possible that the eggs were exposed to heat prior to me getting them. I bought a dozen and the seller gave me 17 eggs when I came to pick them up. She'd been collected them for me for about 11 days. We're in Florida, so the temps are quite aggressive outside, so at this point, anything is possible. And yes, the bator is Styrofoam, so that could also contribute.

Ah well. I'll let it die in peace if that ends up being the case. I can't bring myself to kill it when it's fought so hard to hatch in the first place. However, the other 10 babies are very strong and colorful. I haven't gotten a good look at anyone dry yet - I have them in home-made broody box to help simulate a mama hen and will be meeting them for real first thing in the morning. I simply moved them to there from the bator and cut the light to lull everyone to sleep for the night because it's so late. I've had like NO sleep since the hatch started and hovered over that bator like a crazy fool. Not sure if I'll be doing this again any time soon. It's quite nerve wrecking and exhausting!

Back
Top Bottom