Lucyajb

In the Brooder
Nov 2, 2022
Hello there!
I have recently incubated and hatched 5 silkie babies who are now a very rambunctious 2 weeks old. They are doing a lot of stretching of their wings and freaking each other out so I decided to double the size of their brooder. However now they seem to not be able to find the heat lamp and have been gathering in the food and water room looking cold (silky things).
Should I alter the box’s so it’s one large space instead of two with a door?
I ended up shuffling them into the heat lamp room and closing them in for the night. I’m also curious if it’s too early to tell about roosters. Three of them are very active in raising wings and fighting and I suspect are roosters

Attachments

• E5764FF2-A59E-4EB7-8817-45228488B0A5.jpeg
    E5764FF2-A59E-4EB7-8817-45228488B0A5.jpeg
    404.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 26831468-A5EB-482E-B81D-8F12ECDFEFCB.jpeg
    26831468-A5EB-482E-B81D-8F12ECDFEFCB.jpeg
    540.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 854955FF-C21E-46C4-9DDE-D6A800C73A4F.jpeg
    854955FF-C21E-46C4-9DDE-D6A800C73A4F.jpeg
    398.8 KB · Views: 11
While a complex setup is beneficial to older chickens, it doesn't serve babies well. They need a large space so they can regulate their body heat by moving closer or farther from the heat source.

Chickens do not have the kind of spacial sense that humans have. Chickens, especially babies, are very linear in their spacial awareness. This exhibits itself in that chickens will travel a straight line between two points even though there is a wall or fence in between the two points. I've seen chickens when panicked try to go right through a window or fence.

So, yes, you've already intuited this. But, another problem you will have is jail breaks. As you've noticed, they are becoming aware of what their little wings allow them to do, one being lift. They can now jump with the aid of the tiny wings and soon you will be hunting for missing chicks all over the house.

Where are you located? If it's warm where you are, the chicks can begin to spend time outdoors.

Very cute babies! 😊

I would take the divider out. Additionally, as azygous mentioned, you're going to want to find a way to modify your setup to avoid the chicks jumping up and over the sides.

As far as sexing, it is my understanding that silkies are one of the more difficult breeds to sex, so they're usually much older than most birds before one can make a determination. I'm not sure if attitude at 2 weeks is a good indicator.

While a complex setup is beneficial to older chickens, it doesn't serve babies well. They need a large space so they can regulate their body heat by moving closer or farther from the heat source.

Chickens do not have the kind of spacial sense that humans have. Chickens, especially babies, are very linear in their spacial awareness. This exhibits itself in that chickens will travel a straight line between two points even though there is a wall or fence in between the two points. I've seen chickens when panicked try to go right through a window or fence.

So, yes, you've already intuited this. But, another problem you will have is jail breaks. As you've noticed, they are becoming aware of what their little wings allow them to do, one being lift. They can now jump with the aid of the tiny wings and soon you will be hunting for missing chicks all over the house.

Where are you located? If it's warm where you are, the chicks can begin to spend time outdoors.
Thank you so much for your detailed response. I have since taken the wall down between the two areas and taped all the sides up on the box. Hopefully they don’t jump out today while I am at work. We are finishing creating their coop and I agree, it’s probably time they were able to explore outside. I’m in New Zealand and we are mid spring almost summer. During the day it’s 15-22 degrees (59f-71f)
How do you go about introducing them to outside? I popped them in a planter box while I cleaned the brooder the other day and they all sat there rather stunned, probably better on grass

Attachments

• 4728F4F3-E923-47FC-ADB3-44BB9F16DCE2.jpeg
    4728F4F3-E923-47FC-ADB3-44BB9F16DCE2.jpeg
    427.3 KB · Views: 9
Very cute babies! 😊

I would take the divider out. Additionally, as azygous mentioned, you're going to want to find a way to modify your setup to avoid the chicks jumping up and over the sides.

As far as sexing, it is my understanding that silkies are one of the more difficult breeds to sex, so they're usually much older than most birds before one can make a determination. I'm not sure if attitude at 2 weeks is a good indicator.
Agreed, I have been taping up the sides when I go to work. However yesterday, while I was refilling their food, one jumped right out and onto the floor 😂
We both got the fright of our lives. Babies growing up!

How do you go about introducing them to outside?
I would take them out during the warmest part of the day and watch their behavior. If they are all huddled up together and/or peeping loudly they may be too cold. I think if you take them out for short periods - about 20 min or so - during the warm part of the day, they will probably be fine and roaming about happily.

Then, as they start to lose their baby down and get more "adult feathers" (I suppose that looks a bit different for silkies), you can gradually increase the amount of time they are outside. Since you're going into summer there, it shouldn't be too complicated! Just be sure to watch their behavior.:)

I would take them out during the warmest part of the day and watch their behavior. If they are all huddled up together and/or peeping loudly they may be too cold. I think if you take them out for short periods - about 20 min or so - during the warm part of the day, they will probably be fine and roaming about happily.

Then, as they start to lose their baby down and get more "adult feathers" (I suppose that looks a bit different for silkies), you can gradually increase the amount of time they are outside. Since you're going into summer there, it shouldn't be too complicated! Just be sure to watch their behavior.:)
Thank you! 🥰
They have been such a joy so far- I’m completely chicken obsessed now

Glad you got the brooder secure. Hunting for baby chicks at large in the house can be rather tedious, especially if there are any cats or dogs in residence.

@ChickyChook22 has described the most common way of introducing babies to the outdoors. I would plan on half an hour the first time, and you can increase it according to how feathered out they are.

I brood right in my run now, so my chicks are outside from day one. Before that, I would carry them outside in a small pet carrier and open the door. They can come out, explore, and when they return to the crate to huddle for warmth, it's the signal they're ready to go back to their brooder for a warm up.

Just be sure they are secure and can't get snatched by a hawk or a cat.

Back
Top Bottom