Extensive Nocturnal Feeding Behavior of Juvenile Chickens Illuminated by Heat Lamp

centrarchid

Crossing the Road
14 Years
Sep 19, 2009
Holts Summit, Missouri
I have a heat lamp in barn to help with a game camera with a dud infrared light. An Opossum that is small and apparently trapwise is target of interest. It about to be harvested because it is now flushing chickens from roost. Despite that, the juvenile chickens in the barn are feeding for at least four hours of the night, sometimes even as the Opossum appears to be chasing them. Two things at play in additions to Opossum. First is moths are flying very heavy in barn and possibly attracted by light. Secondly, the juveniles may be depleting their crops shortly after midnight. I will say the juvenile chickens are in exceptional condition and not interested in feed when applied at dawn.

This is getting really interesting. Last night juveniles in one pen foraged / hawked for moths the entire night. They would not do such unless effort worthwhile. Like with beetles I would like to quantify intake.

Opossum came in around 0230. Feeding slowed only a little as all but one bird jumped up on roost as Opossum passed through barely looking at trap. The Opossum is growing fast.

Get rid of the possum for sure, I bait with melon, they like sweets.
I find my chicks under an electric hen (brooder) eat less feed, about half as much (free food). Those moths may be to big for them for now.

Get rid of the possum for sure, I bait with melon, they like sweets.
I find my chicks under an electric hen (brooder) eat less feed, about half as much (free food). Those moths may be to big for them for now.
Moths coming in are small enough even for day old chicks. Abundant enough to keep 9-week old juveniles running about nonstop.

Back
Top Bottom