External Worms? Maggot looking things near my chickens butt?

Sounds like she has an infection. I would treat her with some injectable antibiotics, probably penicillin, given the nature of the odor and wound. Also, the smell could be coming from an impacted crop. I wouldn't let her back with the others until you treat her and get her feeling better.

Resurecting this thread. I have a hen that defintiely has this problem. I just washed/cleaned out the area, but this ide of injectable antibiotics, doesn't sound like something I pick up at Walgreens. Any ideas for care/cure?

Washed, hydrogen peroxide, washed again, epson salt soak/clean, iodine just pored it all in there. I was expecting the a alien to leap out the back. There were more magots still.

Got yogurt and put apple cider vinegar in the flock's water. There's so many magots. Couldn't have been more than four hours since I saw the chicken doing just fine till I found her this way.

Oh also quarantined the chicken.

The other things I've read is giving the chicken an epson salt mix orally. Thoughts?

Oral antibiotics? Where would I get those?

Washed, hydrogen peroxide, washed again, epson salt soak/clean, iodine just pored it all in there. I was expecting the a alien to leap out the back. There were more magots still.

Got yogurt and put apple cider vinegar in the flock's water. There's so many magots. Couldn't have been more than four hours since I saw the chicken doing just fine till I found her this way.

Oh also quarantined the chicken.

The other things I've read is giving the chicken an epson salt mix orally. Thoughts?

Oral antibiotics? Where would I get those?
Epsom salt orally will dehydrate her. You just have to keep picking them out,i know disgusting,but at least no alien,just wiggly worms. Where is the wound? Keep checking for maggots. Clean and clean again until they are all gone. Use an antibiotic on wound,nothing ending in "caine" toxic to chickens. Keep her inside to monitor fly problem,may have to cover wound to prevent flies getting in there

Turns out problem was not any kind of internal infection or illness. It was an animal attack. Found the offending critter attacking other chickens. Another hen got it pretty good.

Some pretty nasty wounds. All the magots are cleaned out of the first hen. Externally she's looking much better, no more weeping wounds, no maggots. Second hen never had the magot issue.

Wounds are well dressed, but neither hen is 100 percent. I'm still worried about infection. See how they're doing come monday and make the call on getting some antibiotics or not.

I just had the same problem. My chicken had a small sore above her rear with the maggots crawling around that, her vent and feathers. I washed the area clean with beta dine, dried it well and with an eye dropper dispensed some tea tree oil. It seemed to kill all of the maggots so I could pull them off. Don't know if I got to her in time, but time will tell.

I have a chicken that had raw skin and maggots. We got her all cleaned up yesterday. I don't see anymore maggots, her rearend looks much better, and we gave her some nutri-drench. However, today she is not eating or drinking, she has diarrhea and it stinks. I'm at a loss what to do next. Any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom