Extra responsibilities for roosters? What are they?

smudgetool

In the Brooder
Mar 23, 2015
Where in the heck is Felton, CA?
I just found out I have a 12 week old cockerel to go with my 6 pullets, and although I promised my neighbors no crowing (we live on a ranch, but still have a few neighbors close enough), I've decided to keep this guy and try a no-crow collar and see how things work out.

I just read a Farmer's Almanac article, where the author writes, "...but I still choose not to keep roosters due to the extra responsibilities involved."

Can someone tell me what he is talking about? What would be the extra responsibilities?

thanks!

No idea.
idunno.gif

No idea what that means. I guess keeping a rooster with too few hens could be problematic if the hens are getting over bred. The general rooster to hen ratio is 10 hens to 1 rooster. Some boys do fine with a few less, some boys need more. There could also be issues keeping a rooster with an attitude problem. First time rooster owners try to 'tame' their roosters by trying to make them lap pets, hoping that their sweet little baby would never turn on them. Sometimes this leads to them keeping the little darling long after he starts flogging them every time someone tries to go near the coop, making even basic flock care impossible. In my opinion, a rooster worth keeping is one that stays out of your way. I have one such boy. As long as he keeps his distance and behaves himself, he stays.

Roosters often attack people, usually smaller woman and children first. Often times, first time chicken keepers do not recognize the aggression signals, until the attack.

Many times roosters seem friendly, and will approach you, and sit on your lap. Newbies think,oh good I have a friendly rooster. Roosters loose there fear of you, and think you are being submissive. Not the same thing.

I agree with the above poster about roosters, but I highly recommend that you cull him. Roosters that are raised with their flock mates, get bigger and sexually mature faster, they often become bullies if there are no older birds to thump some manners into them. If you want a rooster, wait a year, then add one. It is an easy addition, and people always have extra roosters. Try and get one that is a year old, and due to his manners has been allowed to live. That is a great rooster t start out with.

Mrs k

Just wait and see. If he is aggressive then get rid of him. If he flees instead of attacks then he won't be a problem. I love having a rooster, and it lets me hatch eggs, which is the best!

I believe the "extra responsibilities" are most likely having to cull them. Author probably prefers to get all pullets because more than one rooster often leads to fights. Most people don't like to be forced into making decisions like that, but it goes with the territory.

Last edited:
Just so the op know some signs of early aggression:

* Jumps up on you
* Excessive crowing when you are in the coop
* Puffing up, flapping wings at you
* Not moving out of your way
* Pecking you
These usually will lead to eventual flogging.

Thanks to everyone for all the wonderful words of advice. His hormones are just now kicking in, so i'm going to be patient and wait it out. No true aggressive behavior so far, so if it gets to the point that I can't do simple coop maintenance, or if he starts being truly mean, then i'll take action.

thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom