Extra toes on White Laced Red Cornish chicks...???

MissLavender

Songster
5 Years
Sep 21, 2018
Clarkdale, Arizona
So I got 12 White Laced Red Cornish pullets from Ideal poultry a couple weeks ago. All are healthy and thriving, but today I noticed that a couple of them have FIVE toes on each foot. Does this mean they're not pure Cornish, or are is this typical of hatchery quality birds? LOOK!!! lol
20200617_192748.jpg
20200617_192327.jpg

Can you get a full body picture of them? Cornish should have yellow legs. Dorkings have five toes and white legs like your chick. Faverolles have five toes too, but they have feathered legs.

That's weird! It's definitely not one of the 5 toed breeds (Silkies, Sultans, Dorkings, Faverolles and Houdans). It has the right comb type for a Cornish. Chick looks to have the right down color from what I can see.

What I find really strange is the amazing toe separation they have! Hatchery quality birds generally don't have good separation. But you're correct, Cornish should have four toes, not five. I'm not sure what's going on there.

I noticed that too. I would have loved to have had such wonderful toes on my Faverolles.

Right?! It's really shocking to see it in something that came from a hatchery. My roommate picked up what I thought was a little Polish chick at TSC earlier this spring. I didn't notice until we got it home it had fused five toes so was actually a Mottled Houdan.

I'm curious if these turn out to be Dorkings.

The chick pictured seems to have a pea comb, and the down looks reddish in color in the second picture. Plus white feathering coming in. Ideal only has silver grey dorkings.

I bought 12 and only 2 of them have extra toes. They're all some combination of buff-red and yellow, varying from more red than yellow, to primarily yellow with a red blaze on the top of the head. Wing feathers are coming in reddish on some and white on others. All have pea combs and pinkish legs.

Back
Top Bottom