Eye almost closed and 1 yr old bantam chicken tired and sleepy though has never been free of one ailment or another

Kirklasu

Chirping
Jul 14, 2023
We home treated her for gout and also gave her firm grip floor surfaces and she very gradually recovered. She became our best layer for a short time ( I have details if required) then got diarrhoea for a week. She recovered but has never layed a hard shell egg since and after a few weeks of soft shell she stopped laying.
She used to be pale faced but became very red and beautiful feathers but in last couple of months her comb has gone paler and bent and she sleeps and rests frequently and has less interest in treats. Now right eye is half closed. No crust or runny eye or nose. What can be ailing her?

Attachments

• IMG_8072.jpeg
    IMG_8072.jpeg
    408.1 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_8069.jpeg
    IMG_8069.jpeg
    499.9 KB · Views: 2
Do you have a picture of her legs and feet and one of the rest of her? Is she having any problems walking? Can she see well enough to get enough food and water? I would offer extra moistened chicken feed and water up to her beak in the late afternoon or evening. I was just looking at your other thread. Did you start her back on layer feed when she started laying eggs? You might try some calcium citrate with vitamin D 200 mg daily for a few days to see if it would get her laying again. Does she have any abnormal fullness in her lower belly?

Do you have a picture of her legs and feet and one of the rest of her? Is she having any problems walking? Can she see well enough to get enough food and water? I would offer extra moistened chicken feed and water up to her beak in the late afternoon or evening. I was just looking at your other thread. Did you start her back on layer feed when she started laying eggs? You might try some calcium citrate with vitamin D 200 mg daily for a few days to see if it would get her laying again. Does she have any abnormal fullness in her lower belly?
I have taken a photo of her legs but had to do it on her back as she nestles down when stood up.
She doesn’t walk well and never has. She overbalances sometimes. I have video of when she was lame. We did feed her on layers pellets when she began laying but she didn’t eat them exclusively and preferred maggots and foraging and corn etc. We do feed add lib egg shell for them to help themselves and she does. We also mix a little into their lunch treat.
She can see well enough to eat and walk about and escape from me when I try to pick her up in the garden
No abnormal fullness in her lower tummy that I can tell. She has great feathers but underneath there is not much of her and she seems thin today when I examined her… though the Epsom salts bath made her feathers less fluffy so that may have contributed. I lift her every day and yet had not realised until examining her today how thin she was.

Attachments

• IMG_8076.jpeg
    IMG_8076.jpeg
    678.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_8075.jpeg
    IMG_8075.jpeg
    711.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_8074.jpeg
    IMG_8074.jpeg
    793.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Back