Eye has issues

CacklebrryHound

In the Brooder
Jan 17, 2017
I noticed about a week ago that my Australorp rooster has some kind of issue with his right eye. It doesn't seem to be bothering him at all. It's not weeping, the eye is still glassy and clear, he doesn't seem to be favoring either side, and he's not worrying at it or anything. Is it an infection or did he get tagged in the face or something to that effect. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
IMAG0147.jpg
IMAG0147.jpg

It looks like he has some type of pus in the eye - a clearer photo may be helpful.

A peck/injury to the eye, dirt/debris in the eye and respiratory illness are some of the most common causes of pus or discharge in the eye.
General care is to flush the eye with saline or sterile water, remove any pus (yellow crust) that you see, then apply an ophthalmic ointment like Terramycin or Vetericyn eye gel.

Let us know how he's doing.

It looks like he has some type of pus in the eye - a clearer photo may be helpful.

A peck/injury to the eye, dirt/debris in the eye and respiratory illness are some of the most common causes of pus or discharge in the eye.
General care is to flush the eye with saline or sterile water, remove any pus (yellow crust) that you see, then apply an ophthalmic ointment like Terramycin or Vetericyn eye gel.

Let us know how he's doing.
x2.

It didn't look like puss and it wasn't crusty. It looked like the skin around it was swelling. I'm sorry about the picture quality. He doesn't like to hold still. :p
This was this morning and it seems to have cleared up a bit.

Attachments

• IMAG0149.jpg
    IMAG0149.jpg
    447.2 KB · Views: 4
Does he seem to be able to see o.k. from that side?

It does look like he may have a little bit of crust or pus in the corners of the eye.
He has a few scabs on the face/comb most likely from pecking. He may have been pecked in the corner of the eye and scratched it.
If he were mine I would flush it, and try to remove that gunk out of the eye, then apply the ointments mentioned in the previous post to see if that makes any difference.

Sometimes it's difficult to control them without help - if you don't have a helper, swaddle him gently in a towel to capture his legs and wings leaving just his face available to you - makes it easier to work on them.

Keep us posted.

upload_2017-8-24_7-59-2.png

IMAG0094.jpg

He's doing a whole lot better. Thank you for the help. I'm sorry to take so long getting back to you. Getting ready for winter has had me wound up and distracted.

Back
Top Bottom