Eye injury from hawk attack

tiny529

Songster
10 Years
Mar 28, 2011
Hi! 2 days ago, one of my hens got attacked by a hawk. Fortunately I have a noisy flock, so when I heard the ruckus, I came running and not much damage was done. She has a few scratches around her face and lots of missing back feathers, but not much else. The problem is that she won't open her one eye. I can't see that she really injured her eye, but she just won't open it. There was swelling on her face behind her eye right after the incident, but now there is no swelling that I can see. I called Tractor Supply and they suggested flushing it with distilled water and getting their ophthalmic ointment. I have since flushed her eye, but I haven't gotten the ointment yet. I plan on picking some up today. Can anyone offer any other advice? She's been in the house since the attack, but I'd like to get her back outside. I am just worried about infection.

Attachments

• IMG_20171120_140959.jpg
    IMG_20171120_140959.jpg
    416.5 KB · Views: 16
You can use plain neosporin or triple antibiotic ointment on her wounds. For the eye, I would use saline to flush it, or get some Vetericyn eye wash or eye gel, or Terramycin eye ointment in the eye twice a day.

I had a hen that was attacked by a possum or armadillo, was never sure which. she was scratched over the eye. she has been blind in that eye for about 5 years. I washed her eye with saline solution for contact lens wearers for a few days, It never got infected, but I think she had a nerve severed. I also get fish antibiotics from Walmart (google it) and add that to their water if they are are sick injured. She adjusted fine.

Back
Top Bottom