Eye injury

Ok, hubby built her a little cone to wear (like the ones dogs wear after they get fixed) so she couldnt scratch it, we got and gave her a low dose of sulmet last night just in case. The redness is almost gone but today its even more swollen (swollen shut). Shes eating and drinking fine. no bloody poop, but im worried about her loosing vision in the eye. Am I being paranoid? What else can I do? Really dont want to loose her over a scratch!

Use caution with Sulmet. It can be very hard on chickens' kidneys. It also is not the correct antibiotic I would use. I would just stick with the eye ointment. Do you think the swelling and redness around the eye could be a respiratory disease? It does look very red like pecking, but just making sure she doesn't need some Tylan 50.

Went with sulmet instead of the topical because all of the scratches are scabbed over now. We read all the cautions about sulmet and only gave her half of the recommended dosage (shes so tiny I was scared) The redness is gone but the swelling is much worse. Ill try to get a picture but its hard with her little cone on.

Also I didnt see any tylan at the store but I will be back there tomorrow if she isnt doing better by then!

We need to se her wearing her cone! For respiratory disease (if you think that is what it may be) besides Tylan there is Gallimycin, oxytetracyline, spectinomycin, and Lincomycin. These may be in the cattle drug sections since most drugs used on chickens are also used on the other livestock. Also, note if she has any nasal secretions or bubbles in her eye.

That is her cone, its shorter than most so she can still eat! She hates it but it works. Her nose is clear and the only other discharge is coming from her eye. Im assuming its from being so swollen. Its clear. No bubbles.

Can anyone help identify
my hens eye problem

We used Neo/Bac/Poly (from the vet's office) to clear up horribly crusted eyes, on a 2 day old chick. I have never seen a chick in so bad a condition. Good luck with yours.

Can anyone help identify my hens eye problem
It looks like MG or mycoplasma gallisepticum, or coryza. Coryza typically smells bad. Is she gurgling or rattling when she breathes? Have you recently added any new birds that could have brought this into your flock? These are chronic carrier diseases, and once the whole flock is exposed, they all can become carriers. Many people cull sick birds, but if you want to treat her with antibiotics, Tylan50 injectable 1/4 ml for bantams, 1/2 ml for under 5 lb, and 1 ml for over 5 lb injected into the breast muscle daily for 5 days is the treatment. Use a 25 gauge 5/8 inch needle. If it smells bad, Di-Methox or sulfadimethoxine would be better for coryza. Read this link on those diseases and symptoms: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom