divineangel94

Songster
Jul 17, 2019
I have a 6 year old roo whose eye went black one day and started to get boogers and pus in it. The pis eventually stopped but slime and boogers keep coming. The boogers went away one day and today I was told by many people on one site to try terramycin and 15 minutes after I did, his eye showed a couple drops of blood. I also noticed swelling. I recently lost 2 hens from something different and I'm just really worried about Roo Roo. This boy means everything to me. The other day he even rested his head on my shoulder.

He still eats, drinks, tries to get action from my hens, and stands by the treats waiting for me to spoil him. Does his eye seem to be draining? Or should I worry that it may rupture at some point? If it does will it kill him?

Attachments

• 20220720_083925.jpg
    20220720_083925.jpg
    427.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 20220724_211048.jpg
    20220724_211048.jpg
    616.8 KB · Views: 2
The eye doesn't look viable.
Have you just tried to flush it out with sterile saline?
I have a hen who is blind in one eye from getting pecked by a bantam rooster for not submitting to him. I initially cleaned the eye with saline and put Terramycin in it for just 2 days and it healed fine. The eye is still there but shriveled and she is clearly blind on that side. She is doing quite well in the flock.

The eye doesn't look viable.
Have you just tried to flush it out with sterile saline?
I have a hen who is blind in one eye from getting pecked by a bantam rooster for not submitting to him. I initially cleaned the eye with saline and put Terramycin in it for just 2 days and it healed fine. The eye is still there but shriveled and she is clearly blind on that side. She is doing quite well in the flock.
Thank you so much for answering. I do suspect an actual injury and I can see a bit of yellow in there. I will try the saline solution and give the ointment another try. As long as the eye won't actually pop out and heals I can handle the blindness. So can he since he's practically adapted.

Back
Top Bottom