RoseyHens

Hatching
Apr 10, 2020
Looking for advice please!
I adopted two injured 16mth old Isa Browns from a farmer 2-3wks ago. He thought one had bumped her eye in transit so I took her in hoping to give her a good home while she recovered.
The eye has swollen dramatically and after some research (I'm very new to all of this!) I’m suspicious it may be an eye worm. The eye is in there - but appears to be pushed down by a white-ish lump under a membrane sitting across the top - with a little bit of white tissue seemingly sticking out from under the edge of the membrane and a cloudy look across the eye. Eye seems to be watery but not pussy. Her weight doesn’t appear to have changed in the past few weeks and her comb looks quite normal.

She is now in quarantine and I’ve cleaned out the main coup with the rest of the flock, but I don’t know how to help her! I read that VetRx is a good treatment but extended post delays on deliveries means I can’t expect to receive any online orders within a month or so. I couldn’t possibly afford vet bills right now as I’m suddenly unemployed on account of Covid19 😔

Would be enormously appreciative of any advice on likely diagnosis & treatment - just to help me address the problem swiftly without tackling it from the wrong angle. The eye is really bothering her and she's losing feathers on her back from all the rubbing I think. I feel so bad for her! Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_9855.jpg
    IMG_9855.jpg
    402.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 12552833-2445-44C5-8759-73999E1EFFE1.jpeg
    12552833-2445-44C5-8759-73999E1EFFE1.jpeg
    330.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 92614987-B5D3-460F-9EC0-9F3487465478.jpeg
    92614987-B5D3-460F-9EC0-9F3487465478.jpeg
    310.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 07EBB005-E3F2-4D5F-9A71-7368199D026B.jpeg
    07EBB005-E3F2-4D5F-9A71-7368199D026B.jpeg
    311.2 KB · Views: 5
I’m suspicious it may be an eye worm.
be pushed down by a white-ish lump under a membrane sitting across the top - with a little bit of white tissue seemingly sticking out from under the edge of the membrane and a cloudy look across the eye.
Welcome To BYC!

Where are you located in the world?

Eye worms are fairly rare unless you live in tropical location. If you press on the eye do you see little worms?

Does she have any mucous, yellow/white lesions or canker inside the beak?
Does she have a bad odor?

Could be she has a respiratory infection that is causing the swelling of the eye.

Flush the eye well with saline and see if you can press the pus out of the eye. You can then apply some eye ointment like Terramycin (can sometimes be found at Tractor Supply or order online) or you can use Plain/Original Neosporin.
Pus in the eye will not dry up on it's own. If there are other symptoms and/or you feel she needs antibiotic treatment as well, depending on the cause, you can use Tylosin (Tylan) you would need to order that online. (Tylan treats Mycoplasma)
I've provided links below as well as video so look at the whole thread.

IF, IF you see moving eye worms, then this is the treatment protocol. The VetRx may be helpful follow the instructions, but using an anthelmintic would be better. Again, they need to be pressed out, all that pus will not resolve on it's own.

What eye worms look like.

https://www.jedds.com/shop/terramycin-ophthalmic-ointment-18-ozpfizer-a-h/
https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylan-soluble-100-g/
What eye worms look like. Treatment for Eyeworm https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ickens-eye-for-eye-worm.1262985/post-20276613

Removal of pus from eyes

Thanks for your advice Wyorp Rock, I'm in Perth, Australia. I haven't noticed any pus or anything especially mucousy, just what looks like water. no lesions or cankers. Basically nothing that looks unusual except the swollen eye.

I haven't noticed any especially poor odor other than yesterday when I had her wrapped in a towel on my lap I thought she might have pooped in the towel but it turned out she hadn't.
I haven't squeezed the eye as such... I've pressed on it quite firmly with a q-tip but she blinks frantically which makes it hard to see.

Wow... watching those videos... I don't know if I have the stomach for this! I'm very queezy! :(

Back
Top Bottom