Eye swollen shut on quail chick.

wingedshade

Chirping
Feb 8, 2016
Delta junction, Alaska
I just got these little guys a few days ago. They are A&Ms not sure their exact age, but pretty young. One of them has a puffy shut eye. It's drinking normally, but it looks unhappy. It seems to prefer sitting by it's self in the sand dish. They have a tray of parakeet grit they have been dust bathing in, a heat lamp, plenty of water and the have 28% protein gamebird food.

One of the chicks escaped and fell to the floor, I'm not sure which one. All of the others seems fine. I do also have chickens, they are kept separately and I'm trying to minimize cross contamination.

Any insight would be great, tis is my first time raising quail.

I just got these little guys a few days ago. They are A&Ms not sure their exact age, but pretty young. One of them has a puffy shut eye. It's drinking normally, but it looks unhappy. It seems to prefer sitting by it's self in the sand dish. They have a tray of parakeet grit they have been dust bathing in, a heat lamp, plenty of water and the have 28% protein gamebird food.

One of the chicks escaped and fell to the floor, I'm not sure which one. All of the others seems fine. I do also have chickens, they are kept separately and I'm trying to minimize cross contamination.

Any insight would be great, tis is my first time raising quail.
Is there any nasal discharge?

-Kathy

Update:
I gave them quick chick in their water for about a week. I bought antibiotics, but I decided to wait and see. The chick is doing ok! The swelling went down. It doesn't like opening that eye and when it does its only part way. The area looks kinda sunken too. There is no discharge of any type as far as I can tell. I looked over their cage again, but I have not found any sharp edges and everyone else is fine.

I might have to go with Mom's initial advice: name it Odin.
tongue.png

I can update with a picture when I get home(internet permitting)

Back
Top Bottom