Eye Worm, Marek's, Mycoplasma... Cannot figure this swollen eye out.

Unfortunately, we believe she had ocular mareks. It became clear it was a tumor and we had to put her down yesterday. She was eating, drinking, behaving incredibly normally, but the tumor was growing daily, she obviously could not see of the eye and was beginning to scratch it. I felt terrible. We have had to put sick chickens down before, but I always knew it was time and they were in pain. With Magnolia, she seemed fairly normal aside from her face being so terribly swollen. But I think chickens sometimes hide pain well. She was not going to improve and I couldn't stand her being by herself and possibly being in terrible pain. It was time. 

MistyMountain - hoping for a better outcome for your chick! Mags never went down - just kept growing. So sounds like you may be dealing with a more simple injury or bite. 

Oh no, I am so sorry!! I am glad you were able to do what you had to do for her. I hope that we have the strength to make that decision when the time comes.

It still seems like it is going down. Never worse than this pic from today:

Good eye

My Chica has been vaccinated for Mareks, which, I know can mean something and nothing all at the same time. I really feel like it was just an injury, or I would have been more aggressive about making a decision about her.

Last edited:
I was reading this thread and as a chicken mama who had to cull a pullet less than a week ago due to Mareks. None of those chickens look like they have/had Mareks.
With Mareks there would be signs such as lethargy, not able to eat, paralyzed legs, eyes closed, definitely not able to stand upright.

Just because chickens are vaccinated for the Mareks disease means nothing!!!!! Mareks is carried in all chickens. If the vaccine works we can consider our selves lucky. If it doesn't it just plain sucks!!!!!! :/

I was reading this thread and as a chicken mama who had to cull a pullet less than a week ago due to Mareks. None of those chickens look like they have/had Mareks.
With Mareks there would be signs such as lethargy, not able to eat, paralyzed legs, eyes closed, definitely not able to stand upright.

Just because chickens are vaccinated for the Mareks disease means nothing!!!!! Mareks is carried in all chickens. If the vaccine works we can consider our selves lucky. If it doesn't it just plain sucks!!!!!! :/

How are the rest of your flock doin now?

The rest of my flock is doing great!!!!!
None of the others have shown symptoms or any acts of craziness!!! Keeping fingers crossed!!!!

That's awesome! I had one go like yours and the other four of my girls seem to be doing well. I am so scared of this mareks. It's terrible! Good luck!

That's awesome! I had one go like yours and the other four of my girls seem to be doing well. I am so scared of this mareks. It's terrible! Good luck!

Unfortunately every chicken owner should be scared of Mareks. It is carried through the air. And can't be controlled!!!!
If the barn next to you is infected with Mareks you are at risk. :/ sad but true. :/

Unfortunately every chicken owner should be scared of Mareks. It is carried through the air. And can't be controlled!!!!
If the barn next to you is infected with Mareks you are at risk. :/ sad but true. :/

Actually it's the opposite here for me. My neighbours have 5 week olds next door an they recently put them in their coop. So now I'm afraid that they will get infected. I asked her if she had them vaccinated and she asked if she should. I wanted to say, "do you vaccinate your children for polio?!" Lol so now I don't think hers are vaccinated. And I have to break the news to her soon. ****. No confirmation of definitive mareks yet from vet, waiting for tissue samples. It's taking forever.

Actually it's the opposite here for me. My neighbours have 5 week olds next door an they recently put them in their coop. So now I'm afraid that they will get infected. I asked her if she had them vaccinated and she asked if she should. I wanted to say, "do you vaccinate your children for polio?!" Lol so now I don't think hers are vaccinated. And I have to break the news to her soon. ****. No confirmation of definitive mareks yet from vet, waiting for tissue samples. It's taking forever.

Where did she get these chicks from???!???? If she got them from a hatchery they are usually vaccinated at a day old or in ovo.
Vaccination doesn't mean anything!!!! It only prevents rumors and symptoms. Vaccinated chickens can still contract Mareks. :/

Where did she get these chicks from???!???? If she got them from a hatchery they are usually vaccinated at a day old or in ovo.
Vaccination doesn't mean anything!!!! It only prevents rumors and symptoms. Vaccinated chickens can still contract Mareks. :/

I asked her if the hatchery vaccinated them and he said she wasn't sure...I think you sometimes need to ask to have them vaccinated don't you? Or vaccinate day olds yourself. I feel like she would k ow if they were vaccinated....also, mine were all vaccinated for mareks and that didnt matter. Sometimes 5% can still contract it. I guess I was the 5%.

I asked her if the hatchery vaccinated them and he said she wasn't sure...I think you sometimes need to ask to have them vaccinated don't you? Or vaccinate day olds yourself. I feel like she would k ow if they were vaccinated....also, mine were all vaccinated for mareks and that didnt matter. Sometimes 5% can still contract it. I guess I was the 5%.

If they are a reputable hatchery they automatically vaccinate!!!
If he bought them from Joe Schmoe then they probably aren't vaccinated :/

Back
Top Bottom