Eyes swollen closed - Fowl Pox - Tony chicken

Claireclaes

Hatching
Sep 27, 2021
Hi,

I would be so greatful if anyone could give me some tips, I'm at me wits end, posted on another forum on FB but no replies.

Discovered that this tiny chicken was getting dry fowl pox a week ago, her eyes in the morning are totally swollen up, i'm prying them apart, left eye stayed closed all day, right one has a tiny slit where bubbles form. Consequently she is barely eating or drinking.

I have added vitamines and healthy microbes to the water. I'm bathing the eyes with vetericyn eye wash in the morning and trying to open them. Throughout the day I pop a few drops in to see if this helps with the irritation. I'm using terramycine as a preventative twice a day. I'm using iodine to disinfect the scabs twice a day. I had been making her all her favourites, mozzarella, scrambled egg etc but now she can barely see she is barely pecking for food. I had been 'trying' to give a 5ml syringe of water a couple of times a day, it's so hard because she's so tiny, basically dripping it on the side of her beak until she decides to smack her beak together and get a bit in. Today I swapped water for water with either apple sauce or peanut butter in it.

I'm exhausted with being out there so many times early until late trying to take care of her but I don't want to give up!

We adopted her last summer. She's the first tame chicken we have ever had, she always comes when I call her name, she was all ready partially blind in one eye. We got her in a heatwave, I think her growth may be stunted because she was kept with 200 other chickens and barely got a look in at the food and water. She was so dehydrated, it took me so long to get her well and integrated into the flock, we kept her in a separate run in the pen for months. Now she's finally integrated and sleeps with a little friend. Really want this to work out!

Is there anything you would change to what i'm doing. I've added pics. Thank you for all your help!

Attachments

• 242997940_896322990989285_7171677238659160897_n.jpg
    242997940_896322990989285_7171677238659160897_n.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 62
  • 243045364_299372778192872_4617831427715111363_n.jpg
    243045364_299372778192872_4617831427715111363_n.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 243155035_398873568577297_5176079696640708951_n.jpg
    243155035_398873568577297_5176079696640708951_n.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 25
I'm sorry about your hen.

Does she have any lesions, mucous or pox inside her beak?

You are doing the best you can about the eyes, unfortunately Fowl Pox is a virus so it has to run it's course. You can give Tetracyclines or Tylosin to help treat secondary infection.

As for feeding her, you can try crop feeding - that may be easier on you. I'll link the articles below.

Consider sanitizing the flock's water as well. You can use Iodine or Oxine for that (instructions in this article) https://the-chicken-chick.com/fowl-pox-prevention-treatmen/

Crop/Tube Feeding https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/crop-feeding.75454/

Syringing fluids/medications https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I forgot to mention that there is no sneezing, coughing, pus, mucus etc and her head doesnt smell. I have seen a little bit in her mouth and it seems clear.

Her eyes are still terrible, I couldnt get the left one open this morning, this evening I finally broke through the crust to open it just enough to put an eye drop in.

Thankfully today she started drinking out of a bowl and pecking grain and bread off the floor, its a relief to know she is getting a lot of liquid in. I think in herself she feels ok, just 95percent blind! She was very vocal today so maybe that's a good sign.

Thanks for the links, I'm in Belgium so the brand names are different, is Oxine a mild bleach? I'm all ready adding two products to the waterers, not sure I should be mixing something else in but maybe for the in future;;;

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I forgot to mention that there is no sneezing, coughing, pus, mucus etc and her head doesnt smell. I have seen a little bit in her mouth and it seems clear.

Her eyes are still terrible, I couldnt get the left one open this morning, this evening I finally broke through the crust to open it just enough to put an eye drop in.

Thankfully today she started drinking out of a bowl and pecking grain and bread off the floor, its a relief to know she is getting a lot of liquid in. I think in herself she feels ok, just 95percent blind! She was very vocal today so maybe that's a good sign.

Thanks for the links, I'm in Belgium so the brand names are different, is Oxine a mild bleach? I'm all ready adding two products to the waterers, not sure I should be mixing something else in but maybe for the in future;;;
No, Oxine is a sanitizer https://www.revivalanimal.com/product/oxine-animal-health-ah/all-dog-and-cat-supplies

What are you adding to the water stations?

Can you get an antibiotic eye ointment like Terramycin, Neosporin or something like Vetropolycin? Those can also be put in the eye and around it - may keep it a bit more moist so it doesn't crust tightly shut.

Eating is good! Hopefully this will clear up soon.

Thanks, yes i'm using terramycin 3 times a day, it looks like some of the worst crusts around the eye may be starting to flake but she does have some just inside her mouth.

I'm adding vitamines to the water and I just started anti-biotics.

Back
Top Bottom