Eyesight problem and not co ordinated

lizro

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 29, 2015
Whitchurch on Thames UK
My oldest hen appears not to be able to see. She walks into things in the garden, and is not co ordinated when she pecks - so she misses whatever she is pecking at.
I am hand feeding for the time being but she is not eating much - her crop feels very empty unless I feed her.
Do hens go blind with age ? She is about 4 and is a 'saved from slaughter' hen; usually very lively but happy to sit indoors with me at the moment!! Comb looks red, eyes look fine, she chirps when I talk to her......
she does have diarrhoea but that is my fault giving too much protein in an effort to get her to eat - back to rations today. She drinks water but only if I hold it under her beak.

What do her eyes look like, any cloudiness or color change. Do you have pictures? Are the pupils round and equal? Blindness is rather common from infections, injuries, vitamin A or E deficiency, Mareks disease, and cataracts. Many chickens can get along when they are close enough to food and water, and not picked on by others.

What do her eyes look like, any cloudiness or color change. Do you have pictures? Are the pupils round and equal? Blindness is rather common from infections, injuries, vitamin A or E deficiency, Mareks disease, and cataracts. Many chickens can get along when they are close enough to food and water, and not picked on by others.
Her eyes look fine - both the same and she looks pretty healthy altho very thin. I will get some photos later - I have put her outside with the others in the sunshine.

Back
Top Bottom