Eyeworms!

number1newbie

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 2, 2014
A rooster of mine was infected by eye worms. I treated him and kept his seperste from the rest of the flock. It's been three months and he is still separated from the flock. He lost his eye but there hasn't been anymore damage done to him. My question is how long till I can put him back with the rest? How long until he isn't contagious? What should I do? Is he free of the eye worm?

A rooster of mine was infected by eye worms. I treated him and kept his seperste from the rest of the flock. It's been three months and he is still separated from the flock. He lost his eye but there hasn't been anymore damage done to him. My question is how long till I can put him back with the rest? How long until he isn't contagious? What should I do? Is he free of the eye worm?

Eyeworms can actually be seen in the eye, did you see them and what did they look like? Did you see your rooster scratching his eye and/or shaking his head? Finally, what did you treat him with?
The soil where is located will be contaminated with worm eggs if in fact it were eyeworm.

I treated with vet rx. It had a whit ball on the bottom of his eye and soon he lost it. He scratched at it a lot and still does. And I never moved the coop and still no others have had any problems.

If you didnt see the worms in the eye, most likely it's some type of bacterial infection and not eyeworm. You can take a fresh fecal sample to a vet and they'll let you know if there are worm eggs present on the microscopic slide.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom