EZ Straw for run?

abmurry914

In the Brooder
Mar 26, 2020
Hello, I was wondering if EZ straw is safe to put down in our run or not.
Screenshot_20200728-182334_Chrome.jpg

Personally I would not use it - just by reading the package it appears to have something "tacky" that makes the straw stick together(?) Even without the "tack" I wouldn't use it in a run. That is similar to the "straw" that TSC sells in a shrink wrap. Its cut short and fine in texture. It is nice and soft, I've used the TSC one in nesting boxes before but it gets ground down pretty quick.

Check with your Home Depot, Lowes or if you have a Southern States ask for baled wheat straw. That's what I use in my runs.

Personally I would not use it - just by reading the package it appears to have something "tacky" that makes the straw stick together(?) Even without the "tack" I wouldn't use it in a run. That is similar to the "straw" that TSC sells in a shrink wrap. Its cut short and fine in texture. It is nice and soft, I've used the TSC one in nesting boxes before but it gets ground down pretty quick.

Check with your Home Depot, Lowes or if you have a Southern States ask for baled wheat straw. That's what I use in my runs.
Okay thank you! Our run is getting pretty run down, lol no pun intended. We can't free range cause the predators in our back yard. We were just looking for a solution before the wires that are buried start to become exposed.

Okay thank you! Our run is getting pretty run down, lol no pun intended. We can't free range cause the predators in our back yard. We were just looking for a solution before the wires that are buried start to become exposed.
My birds get excited when they see new straw being wheeled in LOL

I just open a bale and take those sections and throw them in the runs. The birds will scatter it for you.

For winter, I also place a few whole bales in the run as "wind blocks" or places for them to hunker behind on windy days. Most of the runs are covered or partially covered, so I do keep whole bales out of the rain/snow the best I can. They love to get on top of them and scratch or lounge too.

We were just looking for a solution before the wires that are buried start to become exposed.

Where are you located?

Can you access aged wood chips, pine straw, last year's fall leaves, dried lawn clippings (no sprays), or other such material?

A mix of materials and textures in the run is better than just one kind because it is less likely to pack and mat.

Where are you located?

Can you access aged wood chips, pine straw, last year's fall leaves, dried lawn clippings (no sprays), or other such material?

A mix of materials and textures in the run is better than just one kind because it is less likely to pack and mat.
We're in North Central WV. I'll search around and see what I can find!

Unless you're trying to make garden soil,
big wood chips are the best base for a chicken run, IMO.

My runs have semi-deep litter(cold composting), never clean anything out, just add smaller dry materials on occasion, add larger wood chippings as needed.
Aged ramial wood chippings are best IMO.

Unless you're trying to make garden soil,
big wood chips are the best base for a chicken run, IMO.

My runs have semi-deep litter(cold composting), never clean anything out, just add smaller dry materials on occasion, add larger wood chippings as needed.
Aged ramial wood chippings are best IMO.

Do you happen to know where we can get these?

We're in North Central WV. I'll search around and see what I can find!
I'm originally (and still at heart) a West Virginian myself. My opinion of straw is that it's more prone to mold than other bedding materials and the hollow stocks make excellent hidey holes for tiny bugs.

You said this was for an outdoor run? If your run isn't muddy, or isn't on concreate, there's no real need to use litter in the run, but I agree with using chopped up leaves because it's free, and much less prone to mold. My second choice would be sand because you can scoop it to keep it clean of poop and therefore can be kept in the run for a long time without replacing.

For wood chips someone on BYC once listed a website where you can sign up to receive free wood chips/mulch from landscapers looking to unload their waste material but I don't remember the link. If you found it though, I'd let it dry for a few weeks or months before adding to the run. Can you tell I like free or low cost options??

Back
Top Bottom