Face mites

Stacy35

Chirping
Apr 5, 2021
Hey guys my 6 month old Silkie has tiny bugs around her eye. It was scabbed over and I couldn’t even see her eye! She also has a swollen face in that side that won’t go away. I treated her witt ivermectin and a general antibiotic. I also have been using petroleum jelly to suffocate them. Just want to be sure I am covering all my bases. Anything else I should do? Good thing it’s time for spring clean up in the coop anyways 😳

Last edited:
Hey guys my 6 month old Silkie has tiny bugs around her eye. It was scabbed over and I couldn’t even see her eye! She also has a swollen face in that side that won’t go away. I treated her witt ivermectin and a general antibiotic. I also have been using vapor rub to suffocate them. Just want to be sure I am covering all my bases. Anything else I should do? Good thing it’s time for spring clean up in the coop anyways 😳
You are putting vapor rub on her face? That seems like it would be a bad idea. What about permethrin or wood ash?

You are putting vapor rub on her face? That seems like it would be a bad idea. What about permethrin or wood ash?
Yes, I have read that would help so figured might as well try 🤷‍♀️ I have not tried the other two, I will look into that. Thanks!

Do you have any pictures? Vaseline or plain neosporin would be a better choice for face mites near eyes, but lice or regular mites may also be the problem. Look on skin around neck, under wings, and under the vent for tiny bugs. Regular mites or lice would be treated with permethrin spray, garden dust, or sulfur powder.

I’ve gotten it in my eye before, and it wasn’t pleasant 😢 I’ve just never heard of that, but I’m no expert.

I know of the other two because I just recently had the same issue, but on her butt, and was told to try those.

Good luck 😊👍🏻

Do you have any pictures? Vaseline or plain neosporin would be a better choice for face mites near eyes, but lice or regular mites may also be the problem. Look on skin around neck, under wings, and under the vent for tiny bugs. Regular mites or lice would be treated with permethrin spray, garden dust, or sulfur powder.
It was petroleum jelly, not sure if that makes a difference. Yes I will look tomorrow and show you a more recent pic. Thanks!

Hey guys my 6 month old Silkie has tiny bugs around her eye. It was scabbed over and I couldn’t even see her eye! She also has a swollen face in that side that won’t go away. I treated her witt ivermectin and a general antibiotic. I also have been using petroleum jelly to suffocate them. Just want to be sure I am covering all my bases. Anything else I should do? Good thing it’s time for spring clean up in the coop anyways 😳
I had this issue a few months ago. You’ll need to find something you can put IN the eye, if it’s as bad as the infestation Reaper had they will be living in her eye and will keep coming back. My little lady didn’t make it but she had health issues before the infestation

Back
Top Bottom