fading comb in chick

sallysinnamon

Songster
9 Years
Dec 4, 2010
south eastern
i have an austorlorp chick who at first i was convinced was a rooster, because its comb and waddles were developing faster than the other chick of the same age. my austorlorp hen i have currently, it's mom, has very large comb and wattles for a hen. the chick i believed to be a rooster has its color fading from its comb and has me wondering if its indeed a female who developed faster..

anyone have experience with fading combs in young chicks and what it means?

Could be electrolyte imbalance caught early. Give electrolytes from your local feed store immediately otherwise it could worsen and she/he could die! I lost a chick with the same symptoms or I could be overreacting. DO NOT PANIC!!!!! Could be what you said better safe than sorry!!

No not abnormally hot..and already was getting electrolytes/vitamins in water.. I attached a picture this time I can't really tell from it's hackle feathers or it stance or anything..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180821-154918~2.png
    Screenshot_20180821-154918~2.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 13
thanks for all your advice by the way! I appreciate your replies! 7 weeks.. I feel like they are crazily feathered already for 7 1/2 weeks.. I guess that is why I'm having trouble too because when I Google pictures of 6 to 8 week old birds they look so much younger than mine! I'm attaching a picture of his mom, and a picture I tried to get him the back of his head to see if you can tell from his Hackle feathers. funny because in this picture I can almost see the feathers being thinner on his neck like a rooster and in person you can't really see it.. but like I said .. I've been convinced he was a rooster until this week and the comb changed slightly .

Attachments

• IMG_20180821_183437.jpg
    IMG_20180821_183437.jpg
    748.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20180821_183604.jpg
    IMG_20180821_183604.jpg
    592.3 KB · Views: 14

Back
Top Bottom