Fairy eggs with only yolks no whites

Edens_Echo

In the Brooder
Mar 10, 2023
We've got a nice little flock of 20 mixed breed chickens that have the same father and 2 different mothers, the older brood is now a year old and been doing very well. Started laying at about 24 weeks. The younger brood just recently started laying about 6 - 8 weeks ago and I seem to have 3-4 hens in this lot that are consistently laying fairy eggs that have almost zero white in them and are all yolk. Bigger yolks than the usual medium sized eggs even. I thought perhaps this was a new layer glitch but now I'm getting more interested in what is going on as they are very consistent and always have large yolks. We do eat them (yolks are my favourite so I'm ok if this is just what they're going to do), but I'm curious...Anyone with any thoughts for me please?
IMG_20230806_083023.jpg

that are consistently laying fairy eggs that have almost zero white in them and are all yolk.
Generally 'fairy' eggs have no, or tiny, yolks.

Bigger yolks than the usual medium sized eggs even.
Pics don't really show size, take pics with a quarter for scale...
...and open the small eggs to see just what's inside.

One of mine laid such an egg 2 days ago; this one also had a very thin shell. Only seen those with white and no yolk hitherto. But such a thing can happen: weighed 25g
DSC04304.JPG

DSC04306.JPG

And the yolk wasn't normal when opened; two meat spots and some thick albumen inside the membrane
DSC04312.JPG

I don't know who laid it. One of the pullets I assume.

Back
Top Bottom