Hen laying fairy eggs....

PiperJane

Songster
5 Years
Aug 8, 2018
I have a golden comet who has just turned 1. From the start of her egg laying she has only laid fairy eggs and still does almost daily. Will this ever change? Is it a problem with her reproductive system? Is there anything I can do to change this? They are definitely fairy eggs, just white, no yolk. Any help/advice is appreciated! Thanks!

Do you have photos of several of them with the contents?
Do you notice any meat spots, debris or anything else in the albumen?
Otherwise, does she seem to be healthy/active/happy?
Any swelling or bloat of the abdomen below the vent between her legs?
How long has she been laying?

If she's only laid fairy eggs with albumen, then likely her ovary did not develop or something similar, no way to really know unless you lose her and the internals are examined.

I know of nothing you can do to change this. Sounds like it's just the way her body works.

Here's information on the reproductive system of female poultry. You may find it interesting:

https://poultry.extension.org/articles/poultry-anatomy/avian-reproductive-female/

I don't have any photos, I'll try and get one tonight if she lays one today. There is nothing but albumen in them. She's healthy, happy and chatty so as I suspected I think this is just the way she's going to be. Kinda bummed as she was hoped to be high production to fill in for a couple "oldies" who aren't producing much anymore. She's been laying since around the end of last summer...

I also had a hen who laid perhaps 4 eggs in a year and a half, and maybe 25 fairy eggs with no yolks. Unfortunately, she eventually laid a lash egg, and died a year later (after 2 rounds of antibiotics), of presumed reproductive issues. I hope yours lives longer!

Yikes, will be on the lookout for a lash egg, we've never had one in the 5-6 years of raising chickens, and this is the first fairy egg layer we've had, ha ha! She's the only one we've had to train to lay in the box as well, everyone else just kind of knew, she laid wherever she felt like it til we trained her. That's how we figured out it was her. Goofy chicken, lol!

Back
Top Bottom