Egg size

AliciaMur2395

In the Brooder
Mar 17, 2023
My Black Australorps just started laying about 10 days ago. I know that it usually takes awhile for them to lay regularly and for the egg size to stabilize. However, I dont have any experience with this breed. Last year we got golden comets and it seemed they started laying regularly rather quickly and they only laid a few small eggs. I actually had more jumbo double yolks than small ones. My australorp eggs are seem very small to me. They aren’t quite fairy egg size, but they are small enough to rattle around in the cartons a lot. I posted a picture for comparison. The larger egg is the Golden Comet egg and the small one is from the australorps. Is this their normal egg size or is it just because they are new layers?

Attachments

• 99F7A7F5-507D-44E5-B496-01DDD6064F65.jpeg
    99F7A7F5-507D-44E5-B496-01DDD6064F65.jpeg
    413.1 KB · Views: 30
Our BLK AUS started laying at 17-19 wks in May-June. Eggs are increasing in size. I didn't expect them to be the size of our previous RIRs and Rocks. As in the previous post of medium size eggs I would agree. We're getting a lot of double yokers but this is to be expected from young birds.

I was wondering about this as well. I’m learning with my first flock. My barred rock pullets began laying on Dec 22nd. From what I’ve read BR eggs should average at 2oz. My girl has laid 6 eggs and they are still about 1.4oz. Is this just because it is so soon after she began or I wondered if it’s because it is winter?

Back
Top Bottom