Falconry and hawking

I've always thought falconry would be something very unique to get into.I once worked with another operating enginer from Braidwood Illinois a few years back that had a few falcons and hawks. I guess it takes many years to even obtain certain types of these birds,and you must have expert knowledge of them. You must train under someone at least 2 years before you can even get some species yourself.I don't have that kind of time to spare to train and learn otherwise I'd have some birds myself.

I've gone out hawking with a friend. And a little falconry. We mainly used hawks on our hunts. Red tails and Harris hawks. Love love love it! If you're interested in starting, I suggest looking for falconers in your area. There's clubs etc out there. It requires a lot of training under a master falconer. You can work on becoming an apprentice. There's exams and permits you must pass. And housing a falcon or hawk takes sooooo much of your time. Which is the main reason I haven't gotten serious in it yet. I will one day for sure. It's a lot of fun.

when you become an apprentice you must learn how to work with the birds under a general or master falconer and i think that after the first year you trap a bird and train it to hunt with you with the help of your teacher of course and then after that those two years are up you become a general falconer and then after 7 years of doing falconry you become a master falconer. And to become an apprentice you must be fourteen years old this is the case for most states

I've always been interested in falconry, but never had the chance to get into. NJ doesn't have much of a falconry culture unfortunately. Their club is extremely small.

Now I live in NY and through school I met a girl who has falcons. She's invited me to some hunts, but I haven't been able to make any yet due to other commitments. NY has a HUGE falconry culture though! I don't think I'll be able to have my own birds for quite some time (Something about falcons and an apartment just doesn't seem to mesh!) but I definitely want more experience with raptors. I just got trained to work at the wildlife center affiliated with my school and they get mostly raptors. I'm looking forward to learning handling and giving medical treatments.

Back
Top Bottom