Falcons, how bad for the flock are they?

cgjsmith

Songster
12 Years
Mar 6, 2007
tennessee
My hubby and I saw a pair of falcons in our neighbors yard. I've heard them off and on for weeks. What are they likely to go after? something has got all of my hens but left the roosters and geese. Crystal

They are *probably* not actually falcons, but rather some other type of hawk. Depending on what species of hawk it actually is, they may or may not be a danger for your birds.

One very common hawk in TN is the red tailed hawk. They are commonly referred to as "chicken hawks". There's a reason for that nickname.
wink.png

Quote:
I'm willing to bet it's not the small raptors accounting for your hens. Adult chickens are a chore for full size birds of prey, let alone small ones.

But anything is possible. There are no absolutes, no matter what any of us say. You must watch and learn.

Your actions thereafter will be another matter. For now, pay close attention.

They arn't red tails we have another set of those that lives across the holler. They are alot smaller then a red tail as well. They disappeared at all times in the day. I set out a live trap but havn't caught anything. My husband says Owl maybe... I will just have to watch my runner teens then they are still little enough to get swiped. Thanks for the help. Crystal.

Back
Top Bottom