Fall/Winter Forage?

Tehwrd

Chirping
May 29, 2020
Alma, KS
Hello.

I'm planning ahead for chicks we will be getting in early/mid October. Does anyone plant forage trays for their chickens through the winter? We are just getting started with our chickens and will be pasturing them (protected) and moving them often throughout the spring/summer. What do people do during the fall winter? We will have young birds this fall/winter, I don't expect eggs until March or April unless I am able to find some pullets, which looks doubtful. I'd like the birds to be able to forage as much as possible even during the winter. We are fortunate that we have a greenhouse on the property, so we can plant in the winter even. I'm just curious how folks do this. I know we will have to feed quite a bit of feed through the winter here in KS; even so it's important to me that our birds (both for meat and eggs) have access as much as possible to the greens and bugs and sunlight. Thanks!

Following. I also would like to know. I do plant clover for my geese, ducks and chickens. But would like other things.
Thanks for starting the thread

I plant crimson clover in a side plot (which is my garden) in early to late september so they can eat it during the winter and poop in it too. Works great for me. It is an annual and I till it under in the spring. This early spring I've planted perennial ladino clover in their plot and it's working great for spring/summer but I think it goes dormant later so I don't know what's going to happen there yet. I may throw some crimson clover in it before it does that so it may have a chance to grow.

I've planted several autumn olives (elaeagnus umbellata). They ripen (allegedly) from September to November. The berries are nutritious - both seeds and pulp. The seeds can be chewed by humans (allegedly) so for a chicken it should be a no-brainer. You can also process some for your own use.
(But caution - it's considered invasive in many areas.)

I plant crimson clover in a side plot (which is my garden) in early to late september so they can eat it during the winter and poop in it too. Works great for me. It is an annual and I till it under in the spring. This early spring I've planted perennial ladino clover in their plot and it's working great for spring/summer but I think it goes dormant later so I don't know what's going to happen there yet. I may throw some crimson clover in it before it does that so it may have a chance to grow.
I was wondering if I could plant some winter forage in my garden and till it under come early spring. Sounds like as long as it is an annual, I should be ok! Thanks so much!

Pibb gave you good advice but you have many options. Forage chicory has the advantage of being perennial, until the chickens destroy it that is, but it will give you multiple crops if allowed to recover (they just destroy chicory and clover). Spring barley will give you the most biomass before winter, for small grains, and overwinter. Forage kale and forage collards will give you a stand that will last through the winter. and if you need stuff that gives you a crop in a hurry, use oats and buckwheat, and also forage turnips or mustard. urban farmer has a number of small package cover crops that are just ideal for the small chicken owner. A mix will always be best, for the chickens and for the soil.

Back
Top Bottom