Fan in coop for circulation of air

motherhen11

In the Brooder
Apr 15, 2016
Hi all. What type of fan do you use in your coop for better air circulation. We had a regular house fan that we put in our coop. It is now not working. Do any of you have fans in your coop if so what type: more geared for outdoors poultry type fan? Household fans. We are looking for one that works best but won't break the bank. Any suggestions appreciated. Thank you.

I use a household fan late in the day during the doggiest days of summer.
I put it in the east window, most the day shade there means air is cooler late in day so it helps cool off the coop until I lock up after dark, but have it blowing into the coop so it doesn't gather as much dust.
Dust can be a killer for barn fans.

I bought an in wall exhaust fan from Northern Tool, it has self opening and closing louvers and is almost completely silent. If I remember right it will exchange the air in a 24x24 room in about 3 minutes. The fan requires a 12"x12" opening and runs about $70, comes with a corded plug and a pull chain to turn on. I had my electrician wire the outlet so I can control it with a light switch from outside the coop.

I use an exhaust fan from a place online that specializes in repair and replacements parts for older mobile homes. Because older mobiles were built with only two inch walls (and ask me how I know that!) it's easier to fit into the thinner walls. My hubby is also an electrician. This particular fan works by pull cord - when you pull the cord the cover opens and the motor runs. He rewired it so that I could just pull the chain and open the cover for passive ventilation, or pull the cord and flip the switch to start the fan blowing. We put it so that the cover opened to the outside, up above the people door, which meant that it pulled stale air out of the coop and pulled air from the open windows through the coop. Loved that system! I could have active or passive ventilation. We left the cover open all year round.

I use a household fan late in the day during the doggiest days of summer.
I put it in the east window, most the day shade there means air is cooler late in day so it helps cool off the coop until I lock up after dark, but have it blowing into the coop so it doesn't gather as much dust.
Dust can be a killer for barn fans.

Thank you!

I bought an in wall exhaust fan from Northern Tool, it has self opening and closing louvers and is almost completely silent. If I remember right it will exchange the air in a 24x24 room in about 3 minutes. The fan requires a 12"x12" opening and runs about $70, comes with a corded plug and a pull chain to turn on. I had my electrician wire the outlet so I can control it with a light switch from outside the coop.

Awesome, thanks!

I use an exhaust fan from a place online that specializes in repair and replacements parts for older mobile homes. Because older mobiles were built with only two inch walls (and ask me how I know that!) it's easier to fit into the thinner walls. My hubby is also an electrician. This particular fan works by pull cord - when you pull the cord the cover opens and the motor runs. He rewired it so that I could just pull the chain and open the cover for passive ventilation, or pull the cord and flip the switch to start the fan blowing. We put it so that the cover opened to the outside, up above the people door, which meant that it pulled stale air out of the coop and pulled air from the open windows through the coop. Loved that system! I could have active or passive ventilation. We left the cover open all year round.

This sounds great!

Back
Top Bottom