Farm journal?

Ayla_noemi

Chirping
Feb 18, 2018
Florida
Hello,

So I’ve been thinking about getting serious about my homestead in terms of tracking and planning. So far I keep all information about births, laying records, fertility, issues, interventions, sales and purchases etc. on my smartphone calendar. However my husband has become frustrated with my current system because as our homestead grows my calendar has become more “cluttered”as he calls it. I was thinking about keeping actual logs where all this information can be stored outside of my calendar. I was looking online and there are a few options for farm journals but I wanted some advice from the group as to what you have tried and what you recommend. I could just jot things down in a notebook but I do better with structured formats that cover all bases needed otherwise it will end up a mess. I’m not too tech savvy but if it’s worth it I can give apps and programs a shot. I’m open to keeping multiple logs for different purposes. I just want it to be organized, detailed and easily referenced. Thank you in advance.

I use a spread sheet.
Nice because I can add/delete/move info around and rearrange the organization....
...and it does the math for me. :D

You could get a 3 ring binder with tabbed section divider with separate sheets of paper for each bird and/or topic.

Yeah, I use Excel. I only have chickens, so I keep track of eggs, money, weight, and important dates. It's really nice because I can set it to do math and quickly type it in and keep it organized.

I keep track in of how many eggs my ladies lay each day. So I can see the total egg production per day, week, month and so on. I find it very interesting and helpful. Also I keep a small notebook just to write notes on anything I find that might help my flock. It doesn't hurt to keep track and stay organized!

Back
Top Bottom