Farm Marketing and Profits from a Natural perspective

Let's say someone was going to get into the breeding game. How do you go about it? You can't free range as your parent stock is much too valuable. So do you just have the old run, collect eggs and incubate? Do you have several in different cages that you put together when you play genetic God? How do you do it? A few pics would be nice as well.

Thanks in advance,
Shawn

P.S. What do you mean in this economy? If it has lasted in "this economy" maybe it is sustainable.......
I'll try to get pics up later. But they are just basic small pens.

I have this bad feeling we are going to see real hard economic times. Much worse than a few years ago or the 70's and maybe worse than the depression. Part of my motivation to farm more. I need food, people need food. So what I mean is right now people can still afford to have chickens as pets. If things get really bad then pets become food. And silkies aren't desirable as food or too much for their eggs for eating.

And much f my parent stock does free range all day long, every day, 365 days a year. The strong and smart survive. Makes their offspring better birds.

You're right that they are not for the table. I wouldn't eat one. I couldn't. Unless they weren't black skinned that is.

Oh and my silkies aren't cuddly. My barred rocks are much friendlier.

For fun.. Here is the strain I am getting. The man was very nice and is giving us a trio for free. I'm buying another trio for backup. You need at least one extra rooster. If you have just one you are asking for trouble.
Hopefully from these two trios I can get a good start on rebuilding my flock.

I have some Heritage RIRs hatching this Friday as well. Runners this Sunday... though my egg turner was broken and I noticed halfway through the incubation.. hope the duck eggs are okay. :S
I just meant cute and cuddly in the looks department.

I'll try to get pics up later. But they are just basic small pens.

I have this bad feeling we are going to see real hard economic times. Much worse than a few years ago or the 70's and maybe worse than the depression. Part of my motivation to farm more. I need food, people need food. So what I mean is right now people can still afford to have chickens as pets. If things get really bad then pets become food. And silkies aren't desirable as food or too much for their eggs for eating.

And much f my parent stock does free range all day long, every day, 365 days a year. The strong and smart survive. Makes their offspring better birds.

Thanks to both of you. I am not giving you preferential treatment but your comments on the economy hit home. I am walking a professional tightrope and have been for about 4 years, which is why I farm. The time may come when I may have to depend upon that 4 acres to feed me and to create enough income to pay the mortgage. I have the marketing machine up. As much as I hate to admit it, each time I lost a piglet I cringed. Partly because I love animals, and partly because that was money gone.

Thanks to both of you. I am not giving you preferential treatment but your comments on the economy hit home. I am walking a professional tightrope and have been for about 4 years, which is why I farm. The time may come when I may have to depend upon that 4 acres to feed me and to create enough income to pay the mortgage. I have the marketing machine up. As much as I hate to admit it, each time I lost a piglet I cringed. Partly because I love animals, and partly because that was money gone.
same here. We run 2 businesses, not counting the farming. Mine over winters us, hers is a busy summertime job. Alway's on the tight rope here

ditto

New ad copy going out. Please do not copy this:

Would you like Bacon Seeds or Bacon Bits?
Bacon Seeds for sale. Serenity Farms of Ohio, OhioPorkandPoultry.com has piglets, brand new, never used.... Ooops, sorry, not selling cars....
There are several methods to receiving a purebred Tamworth from us. First, is the true Bacon Seed- A Bacon seed is a young piglet, over 8 weeks of age that you can raise. You can buy breeder stock @ $400.00 each, but I need to know within the next week if you want one, before they get neutered for feed stock. The second method would be to buy feeder stock at the same age. Those are $125.00 each. If you buy more than one or for a 4h project (Under 18) they will be $100.00 each.
Next, you can buy a bacon bit. Bacon Bits are feeders that we raise for you. You buy these by the pound hanging weight at a guestimated weight of 225-275lbs. In other words we will raise your premium pork for you. We also need to know soon on that because we need to know how many to keep. There is a deposit and a payment program available. Let me know if you want Bacon Seeds or Bacon Bits. Bacon Bits ought to be ready by October 2013.
Thanks,
Shawn and Carla!

I like the ad
thumbsup.gif
I wish you lived closer I would be interested in bacon bits :)

Back
Top Bottom