Farm Related Photography. Pictures are the best Advertisement!

We have a four year old that did the same thing out in the pasture. We found his blanket at the bottom of a hill, and you could see several areas in the snow where it appears he was rolling around trying to get it off. I don't know how he did without breaking his neck or a leg.
Yeah, they amaze me how they manage to pull off these stunts without injuring themselves!

Sanna hope you take the new blankets out of their allowance, I know they aren't cheap.
I think the boys will have to work a little bit harder and earn money by doing more lessons. lol Too bad neither one of them are in the lesson program yet, they're so young. lol
We're very lucky to have a tack store on the premises. The tack store donates items to the farm when we need something, so basically we got free blankets for the boys.
smile.png

I know I am being really dumb here, but why do you blanket your horses?
In cold climates, it becomes necessary to blanket horses when the temperatures get low. Here in NJ almost all the horses I see are blanketed in the winter. So basically for the same reason we wear jackets.
Is it really necessary, or is it the preference of the horse owner?
Here in Northern Wisconsin, I hardly ever see any horses with blankets unless they are trimmed up for show and then kept in the barn most of the time. In fact, the neighbors horses have a 3-sided shelter in their pasture and unless it is sleeting, the horses are hardly ever in it. It was -10 this morning and his horses were out in the pasture pretending to graze in the snow (he spreads hay for them out in the pasture to keep them occupied. They have hay in the round-bale feeder to keep them full).

Are these horses shaved or trimmed or something that they do not get a winter coat? I love wooly winter horses.

Anyway, Sorry that they are destroying their blankets. I would like to be a fly on the wall, watching the one pull it off over his head though!
I think blanketing your horse is more of a preference than anything for most people. But I feel that for some horses, it is necessary. For example, we have a few very old horses here that require a blanket to keep warm in the winter. We've had some trouble with the oldest mare in the coldest temperatures so we just have to be very careful with her and also make sure she gets enough fluids when it's really cold. She often stops drinking when it's cold. Can't blame her...no one wants to drink freezing cold water. She does have a heated water bucket, which helps. We often carry warm water for her to drink...the spoiled old lady that she is. lol We also have a few horses here that we do not blanket at all, such as the little Miniatures and our Icelandic Horses. They grow plenty of hair naturally to keep their bodies warm. Some people just like to spoil their horses and put blankets on them. Some people get paranoid and think their horse needs a blanket because they're cold. Yes...humans are very cold in these temperatures but that doesn't mean your horse is freezing. lol And yes, some people will blanket their horses if they are body clipped. We don't have any of those but some barns do. We also blanket most of our lesson horses just to keep their bodies comfortable.
We don't have any show horses here at the farm except for my stallion, I keep two blankets on him to keep him warm which allows me to keep his coat nice and short and in good condition for the show ring. If he wasn't showing, I'd never put that many layers on him.

Horses are able to regulate their own body temperature and most do very well without a blanket, even in the coldest temperatures.
I, personally, am a sissy and like to put at least a waterproof sheet or a lightweight blanket on any horse. Except for those small ponies that grow a crap load of fur. lol Reason being, for our turn out, most paddocks do not have shelters. If it snows and the horses get a little wet, I don't want their body temperature to drop too low. No, we do not keep our horses out in rain and heavy snow so they get wet and cold, but we also don't control the weather...it does what it does. We have a little "princess" Lipizzaner mare who does not do well if she gets wet and cold. She gets a sheet or a blanket, depending on temperatures. I find that keeping a blanket on her is much better than a vet bill, which we had to resort to in the past.

I think all horses are individuals, as are people. Some are built tougher than others. Ultimately, I treat each horse as an individual and according to their needs but try not to go overboard.
smile.png

What it comes to our blanket destroyers. I'd like to set a camera in their stalls so we could monitor their nightly activities and find out what it is exactly that they're up to!
lol.png

I like that chick picture - 3 ways.
Here is one of mine - a dedication to the cold snap so many are experiencing.

I call it "Pyro Cat"

Here it is with a flash

I like that chick picture - 3 ways.
Here is one of mine - a dedication to the cold snap so many are experiencing.

I call it "Pyro Cat"
I love it!! What a beautiful picture.

My cats are fire worshipers as well. lol We have a little stove in the house and they all take turns sleeping in front of it.
These are some crappy cell phone pictures, but you get the idea. lol

Zoe is directly in front of the stove. She often sleeps on the floor like this. lol

My 2 year old "kitten". lol

3 out of 5 lined up.

This one is probably one of my favorites. lol I was organizing the couch, randomly threw some pillows on the floor and this little lady thought one landed perfectly just for her to sleep on...in front of the stove of course. lol

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom