Farm Related Photography. Pictures are the best Advertisement!

Congrats Birdrain!!!
woot.gif

Yah, I am kind of a dog lover, I love to hug and kiss them but, no baby talk. Merle is probably biding his time until you have some predator Leopards around. I've heard Catahoulas are called Leopard dogs. He is just saving his strength and BOY, will you be surprised when he uncorks it.
woot.gif

Hahaha, yes they have a few names. Catahoula Cur, Catahoula Hound, Catahoula Leopard Hound, even Catahoula Hog Dog. Their official name is Louisiana Catahoula Leopard Dog though, in reference to the spots they most normally have. They were originally bred to hunt hogs, so I imagine if they can take down wild hogs, leopards aren't too far of a shot off! Breeders have their own lingo, and refer to the merle colorations as leopard. So Merle would be a blue leopard.

I would spend 15 min morning and night everyday when I first got him and then few times a week. I owned him for only 3 months, he was wild when I first bought him but after a week he would let me catch him and then it took another week so he would fly off my arm when I touch him, and then another week for him to be tether trained and allowing me to practice show with him. After the first three weeks I started to work with him few times a week. He is very tame and I love how tame he is. He doesn't mind letting little kids pet him or adults and he doesn't mind the large crowds when he's perched on my arm.
If I ever had the time, I would take our peacock and the hens, and work with them. The youngest hen is the friendliest, she'll eat out of my hand even, because I raised her and her 3 brothers for the first 3 months of their lives. Then I put them outside with my Silkies and the hens adopted them. lol The Silkies are pretty friendly and don't mind people, so the peachicks grew up to be fairly social. They have no interest to be touched anymore though!! lol Our new peacock runs away even if you take a step towards him. I don't think he was ever handled much. I hope someday he'll learn to realize that we're not here to eat him.
lol.png

Thank you! They are all still very young, but I think they are developing beautifully. You should see the scatter they make when I let them out in the mornings to free range. Even the clunky Wyandottes manage to catch some air in their victory lap around the yard.
Don't they just crack you up, when they go flapping around the yard?!
lau.gif
This is what my little ones look like when I let them out to roam. lol They're so fast I can't get a good picture of any of them.

Forgetful - thank you muchly.

I honestly thought they were called leopard dogs because they hunted them. Duh, never stopped to think that leopards are not running freely in the southern states. I used to be able to understand these things right off ie: Pointers - point, Retrievers - fetch, St.Bernard's have a drinking problem, German Shepherds speak German & herd sheps.

My ex-padded walking horse learning how to walk without those horrendous chains and stacks.

He's adapting well to life on the farm.

He's so appreciative of anything I do for him.

Back
Top Bottom