Farmer's and rancher's chat thread!

Hey everyone what up?
nothing much, i just have a down goat
hit.gif

Yesterday my coming 3yr old AQHA, Cowboy, decided to grab my 27yr old Arab, Khlassi's, blanket after I hung it on the fence and took off with it out in the pasture... he was like "HAHA Mom, you have to come back into the pasture and get it!!!!"
lau.gif
Cowboy will also take the plastic coffee I use to feed the chickens and take off with it in his mouth. It sure keeps me entertained having that big, 900lb "baby" in my pasture

this is him from November going thru a growth spurt. He will be 3 in March

My horses are pastured in the summer but when we start feeding full time in late fall, they all get grass hay unless its cold or nasty out. then they get some alfalfa mixed in. For grain, when I grain my horses (mainly my 27yr old and coming 3yr old) they get either Purina Strategy or a simple wet cob along with a joint supplement and sea salt. For a nice treat, I will give them any stale bread that hasnt gone bad yet or apples that arent quite crisp enough for our liking. Summer time, I do a 24 hour swpa on the pasture. My geldings, Cowboy and Khlassi will go out for 24 hours and my mares, Emma and Dee will hang out in the arena. When I swap, Cowboy comes in and the girls go out with Khlassi. Because Khlassi is my old 27yr old, he stays out all the time :) The system works great for the horses. No one goes hungy but no one gets obese either. For some reason, out 3 acre pasture will found er a horse faster than straight alfalfa. We think its the pond grasses that grow out there. 40yrs ago, before the property was built, it was a holding pond for a plant out here. We have never needed to seed it and the horse stay plump and healthy on it. Even in the winter time, my old Arab stays plump with just grass hay

Back
Top Bottom