Farmer's and rancher's chat thread!

Ant horse can founder on too much fresh feed. You can see it in their hoofs when they grow out , fresh grass is far richer than anything dried. A wild animal is gradually introduced to fresh grass in seasonal changes, that and they do not sit in cozy and that keep them on the grass, they migrate, and also forage on brush and trees, not just grass.

I agree that any horse can founder, which is why our other 3 are not on pasture 24/7. They are extremely easy keepers. My old gelding seems to do very well being out 24/7 though. He does better being out 24/7 than being rotated. We have had him for 22 yrs and have yet to see him founder. We also dont just throw them out once the grass is green and knee high. They go out once the grass starts to grow and they get introduced to the pasture slowly. Throughout the winter, they all have time out there mainly to stretch their legs but somehow manage to find yummy stuff in the dead of winter. Makes hay management easier. We dont have to feed hay at all once the pasture is in around April. We also mow the pasture down 3 or 4 times a year so it doesnt get too tall and weedy. Even the 4 horses we have cant keep the 3 acres down enough.

Anyone on this thread have Nigerian Dwarf goats?
Just wondering!
tongue.png

Hi all I'm new here I'm not great on computers but I love chickens & enjoy talking with others like me. Maybe yall can help me improve my skills & teach me more about chickens

Back
Top Bottom