Farmer's and rancher's chat thread!

Hay
wink.png

Ya my husband always ask when are you getting off there! Welcome what kind of chickens do you have? i have orpingtons, lost some with the neighbor's dog but today the new hot wire got that little yorkie
lol.png
so maybe he will stay away. hope to be getting some chicks next week.

Does anyone have livestock guardian dogs? what kind would be good to watch chickens?
I have buff and lemon cuckoo orpingtons. Awesome hens and Roos. Yeah I am going to hatch a bunch of ducks and chicks soon. then butcher some of the old flock..

I just have a golden retriever in the front yard. She won't eat them. but she will bark if something comes around. A good guard dog is not always breed dependent. It really comes down to the dogs personality and training. I am more for a family dog that keeps watch over the kids. She also house taken ownership of the entire property, so she does well enough. Now there are definitely breeds you'd want to avoid lol. Donkeys make good watch dogs ;)

Our livestock guardian dogs are Anatolians. They protect the whole farm,and around where I live we have just about everything,even a mountion lion comes around.....
They are just great dogs,so smart. That's their job,they were breed for it and love it. They love kids too,just great dogs in my opinion.

But we also have a mix named Moose,he is heeler/chow/tibetan mastiff and he is right with the Anatolians.
smile.png
but he is more of our family guard dog (people around here just show up....not safe sometimes,but with a big guy like Moose who very dislikes strangers is very nice to have around)

Actually,in my opinion,any breed could be a LGD,it just depends on the dog,I've seen alot of other people's GP and they are FAR from protecting the livestock......

and like Chic CAN said,donkeys are good too.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom