Farmer's and rancher's chat thread!

Ack!

My poor sister! Another goat is kidding, and this one isn't going smoothly either. NOTHING has presented, and the goat has been in labor for almost two hours I think.

My sister finally screwed up her courage enough that she cleaned up and then lubed up and reached around inside. However, she can't figure out at all what it is that she is feeling. She isn't even sure what parts are legs.

The vet was on a different house call, just finished up, but has an hour drive to get to her place.

Poor sister.

My poor sister! Se was so stressed the first time she called, I didn't get the entire story. The goat, Pearl, did birth one kid, but then couldn't birth the second. She was in hard labor for almost two hours after the first, without the second presenting anything. The first kid did nurse.

After a third hour, Pearl managed to deliver the second kid on her own, but the second one is dead. The vet is almost there, so I told my sister to go ahead and have the vet check everything out, for infection etc. as this doe is my sister's very best milker. We talked it over, and the vet visit will be much less than the cost of replacing the goat.

The entire ordeal is such an emotional strain for my sister.

I asked her, and this *IS* the first time, in the four years that she has had her milk goats, that she has ever had such problems with the births!

I was trying to help her remember how big the sire was.... But the sire wasn't full grown when my sister borrowed him.

OK..... All over and done

It was good that the vet came.....the second one that was birthed dead wasn't quite right, just a bit deformed...

It turns out that there was a third one, the vet had to get that one out himself. The third one had died awhile back. The vet thought that the third one looked OK, and it was a freak accident in the womb that caused it to die.

He cleaned out Pearl, gave her three shots, and told my sister that Pearl looked well fed and in good health. The vet did not think that it was diet related, or disease, or the sire. He thought it was just "one of those things". And the first goat was just a simple presentation problem, so not related.

My sister is stressed. This is the first time her goats have had such trouble, and she has one more goat due soon, and this one is a first timer! My sister is thinking that maybe she will call the vet as soon as the goat goes into labor, she feels "gun shy".

It might be worth it. This next one (are they called yearlings?..heifer equivalent) is one of Pearl's kids. Pearl is a wonderful milker, and will milk at high volume for almost two years from one breeding. The sire of this yearling was just a whatever milk goat, but at least he was a milk goat. My sister usually gets meat goats as the sire.

Sounds like your sisters having a bit of a rough trip!
hmm.png

Yeah...
Glad she's okay.

Now...I officially am excited! My (adult) friend over in the hills has asked me to come up next weekend to help her band her new bull calfs! And my parents are allowing me to go! Alone!
woot.gif

Back
Top Bottom