Fat hen, bomb stomach, problem.

GhettoRoo

Songster
5 Years
Oct 7, 2014

Hello, so this place under hen is pretty big, like cats head.
Guess something with laying systme went wrong?

Hen looks really ready to lay, red comb, and the bone under she where can tell by putting fingers feels.

So? Cracked egg inside?

Brown sex links.

Im actually looking to cull all old sex links, 2-4 years old, but I took this one in hand to put in place with my younger hens, because looks visually better than other oldies.

So?

Last edited:
What does this mean? "and the bone under she where can tell by putting fingers feels."

Is she pooping?

If she in not pooping (in my opinion) she needs to be put down. If she is not able to she is in excruciating pain.

One of my hens had an infection inside her gut and her urinary tract swelled so bad she could not pass urine. By the time I got her to the vet she was squeeling. He put her down and then explained what happened. He said I would have never know if she had just passed away in the coop.

Last edited:
What does this mean? "and the bone under she where can tell by putting fingers feels."

Is she pooping?

If she in not pooping (in my opinion) she needs to be put down. If she is not able to she is in excruciating pain.

One of my hens had an infection inside her gut and her urinary tract swelled so bad she could not pass urine. By the time I got her to the vet she was squeeling. He put her down and then explained what happened. He said I would have never know if she had just passed away in the coop.
There is place under hen where u can tell how good layer hen is at the moment, dependind on width.

Dont know, nothing smelly.
Im thinking about something like cracked egg inside.

As rides2far said- it really looks like asceities, a fluid buildup in the belly. Feel her belly- does it feel hard and stretched, and look almost like a balloon? If so, it's asceities.

You can get a syringe (the bigger the better) and some 18 gauge needles from tractor supply and physically drain the fluid from her- I've done it several times with my girls, and while not for the faint of heart, it does them a world of good. Make certain not to take out too much fluid too fast, though, or she may go into shock. You should be able to drain a good amount of yellow or brownish fluid from her, and the fluid may appear to have a little blood in it.

From there, it's just draining as needed- most likely every few months. It may not even re-occur again.

But if it is reoccurring, you should know asceities is most likely caused by congestive heart failure or liver problems. You can treat liver issues with milk thistle- I'm afraid there isn't mush you can do for heart failure :(

Hope this helps!

Yes. Thanks people for advices. Im more likely to put her to sleep.
I have lot of other birds to fight for, which I had bought in eggs for incubating, and brood them.
And Im looking to cull all bought old sex links. When they will look to ugly and laying less.
P.S, Im animal lover, so it isnt easy to just cull, kill etc. So just need to do what should. + lot of youngsters growing, and dont want a to make too overcrowded place.

Back
Top Bottom