Fatty Deposits in Chicken Stool

sammygoat

Hatching
Oct 31, 2023
I have an older hen, who has never looked "perfect" in the year that we have owned her. She has gone through stages of looking healthy, then not so healthy. Her energy is good and eating/drinking, she is the leader of the pack but sometimes aloof. She has never had full butt fluff either, always some feathers missing. Anyway, in a few of her droppings there have been "fatty deposits". She also has stopped laying, when she did lay she would lay MASSIVE double yolk eggs or soft eggs (tried to give her supplements to fix that but now she has stopped laying). I have attached photos of her, the poop from today, cutting open the poop from today, her butt, etc.

Any ideas on waht this is, what to do, what to give her?

I only have 4 backyard chickens and do not want the other girls to fall ill either.
Ryan.jpg
Ryan Behind.jpg
Ryan Poop 1.jpg
Ryan Poop 2.jpg
Ryan Poop 3.jpg
Ryan Poop 4.jpg

Hi Hun,
I have a hen that is popping these out at the moment. They are called Lash Eggs. Not an attractive name but better than the techy one which is Salpingitis. It’s common in older hens that have popped out eggs at a phenomenal rate during their prime time.
It’s an infection. You will be told, I’m sure, that your girl will pass to the land of eternal meal worm within 6 months. But I would disagree. I’m not a newbie to this infection. My last Maran, Susan (bless her), lasted another two years producing nothing but the odd Lash. No pain I must add. Eventually she died with help from the neighbours dog 😠 She was 6 when she died.
So the summary is Yes she will stop laying and yes she will continue with the Lash, but you can still love her.
Oh and it is said to be contagious but I remove the Lashes (which can get surprisingly large) when I find them and keep the hen house clean so I have never found it to spread,
Hope this help
Hugz

Hi Hun,
I have a hen that is popping these out at the moment. They are called Lash Eggs. Not an attractive name but better than the techy one which is Salpingitis. It’s common in older hens that have popped out eggs at a phenomenal rate during their prime time.
It’s an infection. You will be told, I’m sure, that your girl will pass to the land of eternal meal worm within 6 months. But I would disagree. I’m not a newbie to this infection. My last Maran, Susan (bless her), lasted another two years producing nothing but the odd Lash. No pain I must add. Eventually she died with help from the neighbours dog 😠 She was 6 when she died.
So the summary is Yes she will stop laying and yes she will continue with the Lash, but you can still love her.
Oh and it is said to be contagious but I remove the Lashes (which can get surprisingly large) when I find them and keep the hen house clean so I have never found it to spread,
Hope this help
Hugz
Did you treat yours at all? There are some instances where I cannot make sure their coop is cleaned every single day. Worried about my other girls. My favorite girl ate a piece of the lash egg but been reading other forums where it was fine for the other chickens.

Did you treat yours at all? There are some instances where I cannot make sure their coop is cleaned every single day. Worried about my other girls. My favorite girl ate a piece of the lash egg but been reading other forums where it was fine for the other chickens.
Hi Hun, From all my research there was nothing I could do. Susan was my favourite and I would e done anything I could to cure her.
I have photographed and attached a piece in one of my books for your guidance.
Big Big Bear Hugz

Attachments

• IMG_3646.jpeg
    IMG_3646.jpeg
    526.7 KB · Views: 5
Hi Hun, From all my research there was nothing I could do. Susan was my favourite and I would e done anything I could to cure her.
I have photographed and attached a piece in one of my books for your guidance.
Big Big Bear Hugz
Thanks! Right now I have Ryan in isolation. Gave her oregano water, scrambled eggs. Just want to see how she continues to do the rest of the day.

Back
Top Bottom