Faverolle vs Orpington Roo for small flock

I've kept both bantam Faverolles and bantam Orpingtons (black). Both are *wonderful* breeds and get along fine with each other. There, in my profile pic, is Rocky, my dear, sweet "Favington." His mother was a Faverolles and father was black Orpington. He was top roo until he got the snot beat out of him by an Ameraucana bantam rooster (that I eventually re-homed). Then a few months ago, Rocky and two hens were killed by the neighbor's dog. But I digress... As flock leaders, I think I actually preferred my Orpington boys, but not by much. They are very good at "teaching" the younger cockerels how to properly treat the ladies without being overly aggressive about it. IME, Faverolles roosters can demonstrate slightly more of a mean streak when dealing with other roosters/cockerels - even with male brood-mates. But compared with most other breeds, these guys are total sweeties. I hear that cochins are also very gentle.

As a general rule, a "good" top rooster will NOT be really "affectionate" with people, but will also never attack. When Rocky lost his position as top roo, he was suddenly okay with being picked up and handled. But while he was leader, he kept his distance. He and his predecessor (a pure black Orpington), both died trying to protect the hens from predators. Rocky apparently stepped up as top roo this one last time when the flock was in peril. Heroic little dude...

You might as well flip a coin to decide... I love them both!

Fav chicks sell extremely well,and as a rule you can get more for them than orph chicks. Favs are also great broodies and are much,much, easier to introduce new birds into the flock with since they aren't out for blood. Excess fav cockrels would be easily sold or enjoyed by your family as their meat is delicious. And for the record a good roo can be affectionate and a superb roo. Negan,the roo in my posts has defended his flock many times even though he's young, he leads the ladies and is actually more of a help than a hinderance. I can still handle my girls and him without any trouble if the need arises,that in itself is worth its weight in gold.

Fav chicks sell extremely well,and as a rule you can get more for them than orph chicks. Favs are also great broodies and are much,much, easier to introduce new birds into the flock with since they aren't out for blood. Excess fav cockrels would be easily sold or enjoyed by your family as their meat is delicious. And for the record a good roo can be affectionate and a superb roo. Negan,the roo in my posts has defended his flock many times even though he's young, he leads the ladies and is actually more of a help than a hinderance. I can still handle my girls and him without any trouble if the need arises,that in itself is worth its weight in gold.
I guess it depends on location. There is little interest in Faverolles pullets around here, and zero interest in cockerels. As a result I have to cull both sexes for the freezer, but like you mentioned the meat is good. I like to butcher the males before 16 weeks of age. Pullets are good at any age.

My Favs (non-hatchery) do not go broody but then our hatchery Orp doesn't either. The hatchery Cochins are annoyingly broody.

I have had many Faverolles males, as well as roosters of other breeds, over the years. Some good, some not so good temperament wise. They are all individuals so there is no guarantee what you will get. Personally I don't rely on a rooster for flock protection.

Pick one and see how he does. If he doesn't fit in then try another.

I have 2 Faverolles and 2 Buff Orps. I love love love my Faverolles, although my tiny little chicken Fajita is a total nutter! She is friendly but she is sassy as all get out. The other girl is sweet, I'd compare her disposition to my Orps (who are also both sweet) - but that Fajita. I swear it's because she knows I favor her, lol.
They all lay an egg a day, but the Faverolle eggs are small. Or maybe that's just my girls, because they're small. One is particularly tiny. All my girls were born in March, and started laying regularly in August. And then my nutball Fajita decided to go broody about a month after she first started laying, and didn't lay for a good month during that fiasco. She *just* gave me an egg today after her long, dramatic, pause.

With that said, if I could have a rooster I would HANDS DOWN have a Faverolle just because they are the prettiest guys I have ever seen.

Back
Top Bottom