Faverolles Thread

Hi all, hope you don't mind me joining in. Hope to get some fav chicks in about a month so just saying hi so I can subscribe to this thread :)

Well, between Bruce and Henry it seems the boys have most of the luck right now :) I did check an egg from the Fav house for fertility. Bingo! I am going to try collecting a few here and put them in the bator just to see what comes out. I have to get some pictures of this cockerel I have here in the basement. His neck and muffs don't seem as clean and solidly colored as I think they should. When does the cockerel usually develop his final colors? He seems awful pushy to this pullet hatch made too. I don't really like that but I have to wait and see how it goes. The cockerel from Kees is such a handsome low rider and sweet. Gosh, I like that! My son is just tickled by them and that their eggs are fertile!

Bruce, just brought the male to my house for a visit. So may have eggs sooner then I expected! Sorry haven't been keeping up on the thread lately. Been a busy couple of weeks.

Yeah, me too. Off BYC a couple of days and WHAM, so far behind you can't catch up. I kinda, sorta cheated
wink.png

Well, between Bruce and Henry it seems the boys have most of the luck right now :)

I don't know about that. I have no rooster and have no intention of raising chicks for ourselves since we can't eat the cockerels and they don't lay eggs. These girls are here to lay eggs and be interesting yard art
big_smile.png
Figured if the broodies just wouldn't get off the nest, they might as well hatch some for somebody else and Henry is pretty close.

One day and night in "the can" was enough for Anais, she stayed off the nest all day. Clemence headed back after treat time but she wasn't nearly so "GOTTA GET IN THE NEST" as she has been the last few weeks since she went broody. I'm guessing this second day in "the hole" (since it is solitary now) will set her hormones (or whatever it is) straight.

Of course, if I ever DO want to have a hen raise some chicks, you can bet I won't have a bird that will go broody. Life is just kind of like that.

Bruce

Yeah, me too. Off BYC a couple of days and WHAM, so far behind you can't catch up. I kinda, sorta cheated
wink.png

I don't know about that. I have no rooster and have no intention of raising chicks for ourselves since we can't eat the cockerels and they don't lay eggs. These girls are here to lay eggs and be interesting yard art
big_smile.png
Figured if the broodies just wouldn't get off the nest, they might as well hatch some for somebody else and Henry is pretty close.

One day and night in "the can" was enough for Anais, she stayed off the nest all day. Clemence headed back after treat time but she wasn't nearly so "GOTTA GET IN THE NEST" as she has been the last few weeks since she went broody. I'm guessing this second day in "the hole" (since it is solitary now) will set her hormones (or whatever it is) straight.

Of course, if I ever DO want to have a hen raise some chicks, you can bet I won't have a bird that will go broody. Life is just kind of like that.

Bruce
Bruce, just an FYI for future reference, you can also graft chicks onto a broody to put her to work, have taken many a grain store chick and stuffed it under a stubborn broody with a few siblings... a few weeks later the babies go missing (because I take them and give them away or put them in freezer camp) and mom generally settles down in a few days to lay again

Sandi I think I need a pm on this to explain this better. You 'graft' chicks onto a broody? So... I just need to get a couple broodies and then I could hatch and brood? Man! I need someone here to go broody.... golf balls a coming!

Question: How does the five toe gene work? Is it dominant or do you need two copies or what?

Sandi I think I need a pm on this to explain this better. You 'graft' chicks onto a broody? So... I just need to get a couple broodies and then I could hatch and brood? Man! I need someone here to go broody.... golf balls a coming!

Question: How does the five toe gene work? Is it dominant or do you need two copies or what?

here is a link for all those interested in grafting bought or artificially hatched chicks onto a broody hen that has been sitting at least 1 week
http://thereluctanthomesteaders.blogspot.com/2011/10/grafting-chicks.html

Bruce, just an FYI for future reference, you can also graft chicks onto a broody to put her to work, have taken many a grain store chick and stuffed it under a stubborn broody with a few siblings... a few weeks later the babies go missing (because I take them and give them away or put them in freezer camp) and mom generally settles down in a few days to lay again

Can't really do that. No freezer camp at our place and no birds would be allowed (by my daughter) to go to freezer camp at any one else's house either.
Also don't think the local TSC and other farm stores have chicks this time of year.

Bruce

Can't really do that. No freezer camp at our place and no birds would be allowed (by my daughter) to go to freezer camp at any one else's house either.
Also don't think the local TSC and other farm stores have chicks this time of year.

Bruce

It's chick season at our feed stores. Lots of cute peepers-- it's so hard to walk by and not buy! My daughter is a vegetarian so no freezer camp here. We rehomed three cockerels last fall that we hatched, 5 bucks each on CL to a non- food home. Got tons of calls, surprisingly. Kept a half Favorelles roo, so far he has a quiet crow and is respectful.

Just sticking it out there for those that might want to add a few pullets for an egg flock each year, or whatever. It is also a great trick for anyone who has frequent power outages and wants to raise out just a few chicks.. all I know is it sure beats me trying to raise them LOL
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom