Faverolles Thread

Ok, I apologize for posting this in the Fav forum, but there's something unusual going on in the bachelor pen here at Bush Creek Farm
hmm.png
I'm pretty sure I just witnessed my Fav boys doing the nasty
hu.gif
- with each other
roll.png
- and it didn't look or sound consensual, judging from the noise that got my attention
th.gif
Has anyone else seen this behavior? I thought I saw it yesterday, but I was too far away to tell for certain what happened......now I know.....

lol teenagers... when u have a pen with just roosters and no hens it happens no big deal... tho u might want to cull down or give them more space as its about the same time as they will start to fight more... all those teenager hormones i guess...
Ok, I apologize for posting this in the Fav forum, but there's something unusual going on in the bachelor pen here at Bush Creek Farm
hmm.png
I'm pretty sure I just witnessed my Fav boys doing the nasty
hu.gif
- with each other
roll.png
- and it didn't look or sound consensual, judging from the noise that got my attention
th.gif
Has anyone else seen this behavior? I thought I saw it yesterday, but I was too far away to tell for certain what happened......now I know.....

To everyone: Now that I've had them over two years, I can say that the hatchery Faverolles I have are overall the least vigorous and have the poorest constitutions of all of the hatchery breeds I have. They are sweet-- by far the sweetest girls I have-- but they have been on and off again sickly for the entire two years I've had them so far. I am not trying to say that a hatchery Faverolles is guaranteed to have less vigor. I'm just suggesting that they are NOT bred for good genetics and overall health the way that a good breeder might do. Some people do get very healthy and robust favs from hatcheries. I am not one of those people, is all.

I love my hatchery faverolles very, very much... and the truth is that I think Derperella's story (the goofy looking hen in the photo above) has helped increase awareness and interest for this breed on BYC, but were I ever to get more, I would personally absolutely only consider some from a good breeder.

I'm not trying to suggest that getting hatchery birds is bad, only that sometimes you don't get what you expect, and the health problems and vet bills have cost me far more than buying really top quality birds would have to start.
Hi, My first Favs were from Ideal and they were very healthy and colored right....The ones i have seen in the last few years at the farm stores seem healthy but just not colored right. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase from there again...

just wondering, i have chicks from Cloverleaf- adorable little buggers, black/blue favs- so can you sex those colors the way you do with salmons? most of them are black with white wing feathers coming in,

No, you can't, but you should be able to start taking guesses based on comb size in about another 4 weeks or so. ;)

lol teenagers... when u have a pen with just roosters and no hens it happens no big deal... tho u might want to cull down or give them more space as its about the same time as they will start to fight more... all those teenager hormones i guess...

LOL, well, I do let them visit with the girls on occasion (apparently not enough!)
lol.png
, but they are so rough on the girls! I can't stand to be around when they're all together
somad.gif
..... I thought they had plenty of room, maybe I'm wrong. There's only 2 of them in there, they share an 8 x 16 pen - and I let them out when I can.....There was a 3rd guy in there, but he's so gentle and laid back with the girls, last week I just let him stay in with them - I think he's sterile from Baytril vacs when he was younger.

I think you're right - it's the hormones!
tongue.png
Must be a rough life!

ya that should be plenty of room for 2 birds...
LOL, well, I do let them visit with the girls on occasion (apparently not enough!)
lol.png
, but they are so rough on the girls! I can't stand to be around when they're all together
somad.gif
..... I thought they had plenty of room, maybe I'm wrong. There's only 2 of them in there, they share an 8 x 16 pen - and I let them out when I can.....There was a 3rd guy in there, but he's so gentle and laid back with the girls, last week I just let him stay in with them - I think he's sterile from Baytril vacs when he was younger.

I think you're right - it's the hormones!
tongue.png
Must be a rough life!

Just thought Id share some more photos of my girls now they are a bit older.

They are approx 16-18 weeks now.

carl.jpg

Carl has decided that the plant pot is the best spot to sit and nest. lol

Winry was all worn out after her big day getting the beak trimmed yesterday so she was snoozing. Her bottom beak is longer than the top and she was loosing condition and drinking constantly so I was worried she wasnt getting enough to actually go down when eating and drinking so I took her and got it trimmed. So far so good, she isnt dribbling as much water when she drinks anyway.

winry3.jpg

Colonel - Im actually a little concerned about her as well. Unlike Tuppence below when she stands you can see the breast bone on her front. I never thought anything of it till the vet mentioned Winry being thin yesterday because he could feel her breastbone. Should I be able to see the line down the front from the breastbone on a fav?
colonel.jpg

and tuppence. She is our biggest girl.
tuppence.jpg

Should add the vet also said he found mites on winry so I gave the whole flock a dose of ivermectin yesterday so hopefully have de liced and wormed all in one in case its worms causing the thinness and I never wormed them when I bought them (dumb move probably)

Ive also spent the whole morning cleaning and spraying and powdering the coop and roosts.
Beautiful birds
love.gif

Yeah I'm glad I got the older ones. It really made no differerence to how tame they ended up. They are still super friendly, in fact lots friendlier than the sizzles we got as 3 week olds.

Oh and I bought them from a guy in Sydney. They are second generation from eggs he bought from one of Aus top fav breeders.

Not sure they will be quite show quality but close enough for us :)
I was worried about that. We got 5 chicks about 5 weeks ago..when they were 2 weeks. I wanted a Faverolle, but she didn't have one yet. I'm supposed to be getting a Fav pullet in a week or so. She'll be 6 weeks and I was worried whe wouldn't be as friendly as the other chicks are because of the lost time. Hopefully, she's like yours and is sweet
fl.gif

HI, Earlier on, Henry talked about a book he thought was really good and i finally was able to get a copy at the Mother Earth News fair this last weekend in Washington..Its the Small Scale Poultry Flock by Harvey Ussery. EXCELLENT, i have a ton of books but this covers everything imaginable, well written, lots of pics and illustrations.

Also there will be 2 more fairs, one in Kansas and cannot remember the other state that will be hosting....real soon, had a great time and they had talks, and booths and vendors for all things related to the magazine....Electric/bio cars to livestock to alternative shelters/homes/food related...a poultry show, herding dog exhibit, llamas, alpacas, sheep, goats,pigglets....sort of like the normal fair with a direction and only the folks there for that purpose.

Just wanted to pass this on......wishing all sunshine, eliz

Back
Top Bottom