Faverolles Thread

Does anyone here have salmon Faverolles eggs they would ship to VA??? I ordered some and they arrived......bantam sized. The person never indicated anywhere they were bantams! Oh Well.....will htch those anyway but I still need large ones...not bantams.
Thanks in advance!
Ask them, fyi, many LF have small to medium eggs. There are a few breeders here who do have LF that are huge and their eggs are much larger. I have 3 large hens originating from Cloverleaf who lay a large egg.

The eggs are about the same size as medium Silkie eggs. I sent the person a note but did not get a reply
I have found a person that sells blue salmon Faverolles. I would like to know if that is still a pure Faverolles or if that color has been bred into them by introducing the blue gene from a different breed. Can someone answer that question for me please?
Thanks for the info.

The eggs are about the same size as medium Silkie eggs. I sent the person a note but did not get a reply
I have found a person that sells blue salmon Faverolles. I would like to know if that is still a pure Faverolles or if that color has been bred into them by introducing the blue gene from a different breed. Can someone answer that question for me please?
Thanks for the info.
Medium Silkie eggs would be to small. At least I hope someone isn't selling eggs from LF favs that lay that size egg. Blue Salmon Faverolles are a purebred variety. But are still being worked on in this country and aren't recognized by the APA or ABA so cannot be shown as a purebred bird. The birds would still be considered faverolles and its one of the prettiest varieties. Way back years and years ago orpingtons where used to introduce the blue color. But at this point that was so many generations back that the birds are pure faverolles.

TY! The person did say they were "project" birds but that they were purebred. I am not interested in showing so that part doesn't matter. I was asking about that as I didn't want gene input from another breed close in the background. I know practically nothing about the blue salmon ones and wanted to make sure there was actually that color in this breed.
You have answered my questions nicely and I think I can figure out the color inheritance from here.
debbie

TY! The person did say they were "project" birds but that they were purebred. I am not interested in showing so that part doesn't matter. I was asking about that as I didn't want gene input from another breed close in the background. I know practically nothing about the blue salmon ones and wanted to make sure there was actually that color in this breed.
You have answered my questions nicely and I think I can figure out the color inheritance from here.
debbie
Debbie color is inherited the same way as in regular blue/ black/ splash birds. In males the areas that usually appear black in regular salmons will be blue in blue salmons and splash in splash salmons. With hens its harder to tell the the down or underfluff color will be lighter in blue salmons and splash salmons. Splash salmon hens often appear "washed out" in their salmon color. In blue salmon hens the areas in the tail and wing feathers that are black in salmons will appear blue. Hope that helps. Good luck hatching! Blue salmons were one of my favorite colors to work with. Hopefully one day I will have enough room to work with both blue salmons and regular salmons.

Henry

Debbie color is inherited the same way as in regular blue/ black/ splash birds. In males the areas that usually appear black in regular salmons will be blue in blue salmons and splash in splash salmons. With hens its harder to tell the the down or underfluff color will be lighter in blue salmons and splash salmons. Splash salmon hens often appear "washed out" in their salmon color. In blue salmon hens the areas in the tail and wing feathers that are black in salmons will appear blue. Hope that helps. Good luck hatching! Blue salmons were one of my favorite colors to work with. Hopefully one day I will have enough room to work with both blue salmons and regular salmons.

Henry

salmon x salmon = salmon
salmon x blue salmon = 50% salmon, 50% blue salmon
blue salmon x blue salmon = 25% salmon, 50% blue salmon, 25% splash salmon
blue salmon x splash salmon = 50% blue salmon, 50% splash salmon
salmon x splash salmon = 100% blue salmon
splash salmon x splash salmon = 100% splash salmon

Splash salmon cockerel chicks will look mostly white at first. Then they will start getting splotches of blue/grey and mahogany.

Splash salmon pair

900x900px-LL-33ec590a_13729_picture_90.jpeg

900x900px-LL-93aed5fb_13729_picture_93.jpeg

Ok...that helps a lot. Don't need to go to "Kippenjungle" although I have gotten pretty good at it. I didn't even know they came in splash! Interesting but think I prefer reg or blue over the splash.
Thanks to all!!!
Deb

Last edited:
Ok...that helps a lot. Don't need to go to "Kippenjungle" although I have gotten pretty good at it. I didn't even know they came in splash! Interesting but think I prefer reg or blue over the splash.
Thanks to all!!!
Deb
There aren't many blue salmons, even in bantams. I prefer plain old salmon. The splashes were just the kids' pets.

Back
Top Bottom