Faverolles Thread

Shelburne is a beautiful farm! Head Herdsman, I am impressed. :) Good for you Henry. Soon you will be giving me tips on making the farm better. :)
I am just the Assistant herdsperson the herdsperson we have has been there for a long time and she is extremely experienced plan to learn a lot. Should be an amazing learning experience. Thanks! I hope to visit texas and your farm at some point.

I have a question for those of you who are experienced with Faverolles. I hope this is the right place to post this. I am not that good with forums :) My question is: Do Faverolles often lay weak shelled or shell-less eggs? I only have one and although she gets laying feed with calcium and has free choice oyster shell and crushed egg shell, her eggs often break upon or during laying. She has gotten very sick before from this, too. she is only 1 year old, so it was not expected. Is this common in this breed? I only have 1 other hen now, and she lays great, thick shelled eggs. My other hens in the past have not had any problems, either. Any suggestions or advice?

I've never had that experience with a young hen. Maybe a shell-less egg from a new layer, or a thin shelled egg from an old hen. But that's all.

Unfortunately I'm not sure what to suggest as you are already supplying all she should need in the calcium department.

I've not had that problem either, nor do I know what to suggest for her feed, as you are providing oyster shell at all times. It may be a genetic thing. All my Faverolles are great layers. If it continues, or she gets sick from it again, you have a hard choice to make. Good luck.

Nope I haven't had anything like that before. Maybe one soft egg as a pullet started laying but it wasn't a Faverolles. Hope you figure out what is going on with her.

I have a question for those of you who are experienced with Faverolles. I hope this is the right place to post this.  I am not that good with forums :)  My question is: Do Faverolles often lay weak shelled or shell-less eggs?  I only have one and although she gets laying feed with calcium and has free choice oyster shell and crushed egg shell, her eggs often break upon or during laying.  She has gotten very sick before from this, too.  she is only 1 year old, so it was not expected.  Is this common in this breed?  I only have 1 other hen now, and she lays great, thick shelled eggs.  My other hens in the past have not had any problems, either.  Any suggestions or advice?

If there is no obvious reason for this problem, and it seems to be chronic, I hate to say it but she should probably be culled.

Thanks, everyone, for your advice. Our Faverolles is a family pet, so I was hoping to find someone who might know a way to help her. If it's not a breed trait, then perhaps she has a genetic mutation that is causing this to happen :-( We did get her from a hatchery, and not a breeder, so perhaps the lines were too inbred.

Back
Top Bottom