Faverolles Thread

You can see pictures of Ermines on Kate Hart's page

http://www.beanwoodfaverolles.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=13712749

Only the salmons are color sexable. All other varieties are not. I was working on Ermines for a few years but decided to stop as I had too much going on and something had to give. Here are some of the project birds.

900x900px-LL-e64ba569_13729_113011_12.jpeg

900x900px-LL-8f96ec5c_13729_102511_107.jpeg

At one point there were Ermines in Australia. Though I can't access the Australia Faverolles site anymore.

At one point there were Ermines in Australia. Though I can't access the Australia Faverolles site anymore. 

The website got deleted and a new one created not sure if you have the new link ? http://faverolles-australia-inc.webnode.com

I found two ermine breeders on the Aussie faverolles Facebook group. Hubby wanted some silver Sussex next time we hatched eggs but I just love our faverolles temperament so this is going to be what he gets instead :)

Last edited:
Sad day for the breed :(

Very sad day for the breed in America
--- Hello Faverolles Fanciers of America Members,
We are writing to inform you that the executive committee of The Faverolles Fanciers of America has made the decision to close the club. We have not come to this decision easily or taken it lightly. The lack of interest in membership, breeding, newsletters and showing, has brought us to this point. At this time, we feel there is ample information online about breeding and keeping Faverolles, which has reduced or eliminated the need for breed clubs like ours. It pains us to do this, but we strongly feel it is time for us to begin winding things down.
Because this years APA National Show marks the 100th year of the Faverolles APA acceptance, we have chosen to put a portion of the funds into awards and trophies. The current club leadership will insure that the awards are delivered to the winning recipients at the Knoxville, Tennessee National on December 7th. For information about the national please visit http://webs.us3.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=e33af47fa9b5083fffaac57b3&id=574cbabaad&e=58a971dbfe .
Those of you who have paid membership dues for 2014 have two choices. Respond to this email and be issued a full refund of your payment through Paypal/check. Or respond stating that you would like to donate your payment to the ABA/APA Youth poultry program. Please respond by November 1st. All remaining funds will be donated to the ABA/APA youth poultry program.
Please email us with any questions at [email protected]
Best,
Faverolles Fanciers Executive Committee ---

I'd just want to throw in my 2 cents on the last post.

I am a backyard chicken keeper. I have always wanted to have a breeding flock of chickens. I live in town, and I was worried a rooster would be a problem. Until recently, I just had hens and no breeding involved at all. Never had a Faverolles chicken.

Last May, we took in 5 chicks from a class egg hatching project at my boys' elementary school. Turns out, 4 out of 5 were roosters. We kept one, and the neighbors actually say they like having a rooster in the neighborhood.

Since roosters turn out to not really be a problem at all, I've been looking for a breed of chicken to keep and raise. I have about settled on tracking down some good quality Faverolles. Seems like they are the perfect choice -- cool-looking bird, friendly, decent enough layers, easy to sex at an early age, and the excess roosters (while not Cornish X) grow okay. IOW, Faverolles are a breed that seems pretty ideal for what lots of modern American chicken owners would want.

I just happened across this thread today, while just looking for breed information and saw this post about the end of your organization.
I'd say that having an official group devoted to this or any other breed is probably not what it used to be. The sort of organization you have had has lost its significance due to the internet. You just need to keep up a thread like this one, and you will have far more involvement that you would have had through a private group. So, bottom line, dissolving your ogranization is not really a sad day. I'd respectfully suggest that you use this site to do what you have been doing as an organization through this website, and everything will probably work out even better than you'd ever expect. Not a sad day, just a new day with new technologies that replace how things used to happen.

Like a lot of things that the internet has made obsolete sadly. So were they involved in organising faverolles shows and with the breed standard? If so who does that now?

This will make a difficult to breed chicken an even less desirable choice for those interested in learning about breeding and showing. Hopefully the Northeastern reboot of the club can make a go of it and make a difference in the future.
I'd just want to throw in my 2 cents on the last post.

I am a backyard chicken keeper.  I have always wanted to have a breeding flock of chickens.  I live in town, and I was worried a rooster would be a problem.  Until recently, I just had hens and no breeding involved at all.  Never had a Faverolles chicken.

Last May, we took in 5 chicks from a class egg hatching project at my boys' elementary school.  Turns out, 4 out of 5 were roosters.  We kept one, and the neighbors actually say they like having a rooster in the neighborhood.

Since roosters turn out to not really be a problem at all, I've been looking for a breed of chicken to keep and raise.  I have about settled on tracking down some good quality Faverolles.  Seems like they are the perfect choice -- cool-looking bird, friendly, decent enough layers, easy to sex at an early age, and the excess roosters (while not Cornish X) grow okay.  IOW, Faverolles are a breed that seems pretty ideal for what lots of modern American chicken owners would want.

I just happened across this thread today, while just looking for breed information and saw this post about the end of your organization.
I'd say that having an official group devoted to this or any other breed is probably not what it used to be.  The sort of organization you have had has lost its significance due to the internet.  You just need to keep up a thread like this one, and you will have far more involvement that you would have had through a private group.  So, bottom line, dissolving your ogranization is not really a sad day.  I'd respectfully suggest that you use this site to do what you have been doing as an organization through this website, and everything will probably work out even better than you'd ever expect.  Not a sad day, just a new day with new technologies that replace how things used to happen.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom