Faverolles Thread

Quote:

Personally, I follow the cockerel/pullet line breeding theory. Everyone has their own idea of what works, which is what keep it interesting!

I would consider that a light male, as well. It's much easier to tell the blue salmon males than the females. Whatever is black in both sexes will be a steel blue/grey. I know there's a difference in the fluff color on the females, as well - right, Keesmom?

Here's a blue salmon cockerel I had:

I just had my first Faverolles eggs shipped in and am going to put them in the incubator. We have a broody Silkie as well, so I may give her a few.

I usually run the humidity at 42% for LF eggs and 48% for the Seramas. What is the ideal humidity for the Favs? I have it set at 45% now.

I have a blue Salmon and a splash Salmon hen. The blue tail feathers are more bluish rather than diluted blackish gray…..The splash has white tail feathers….i haven't paid attention to the down…..i'll look.

Well, I will get back to you then. Do you have birds that are unrelated to the pair I am getting from Carl? Or would you recommend someone who might? I know the gene pool is pretty constricted but I do like to keep more than just one or two lines for breeding.

I just had my first Faverolles eggs shipped in and am going to put them in the incubator. We have a broody Silkie as well, so I may give her a few.

I usually run the humidity at 42% for LF eggs and 48% for the Seramas. What is the ideal humidity for the Favs? I have it set at 45% now.
I have found that the best way to hatch shipped eggs is to weigh them at the beginning and then every seven days in order to be able to adjust humidity if needed.

Personally, I follow the cockerel/pullet line breeding theory. Everyone has their own idea of what works, which is what keep it interesting! I would consider that a light male, as well. It's much easier to tell the blue salmon males than the females. Whatever is black in both sexes will be a steel blue/grey. I know there's a difference in the fluff color on the females, as well - right, Keesmom? Here's a blue salmon cockerel I had:
Beautiful rooster

I have a blue Salmon and a splash Salmon hen. The blue tail feathers are more bluish rather than diluted blackish gray…..The splash has white tail feathers….i haven't paid attention to the down…..i'll look.

I went out and took another good look at my two girls. Their tail feathers are a lot darker colored than I remember, so now I'm thinking that they might be salmon. Just my luck. I hatched them from eggs that came from a primarily blue salmon flock and ended up with all salmons. lol I'll try to get a picture of them sometime after the holidays and see what everyone else thinks.
I have found that the best way to hatch shipped eggs is to weigh them at the beginning and then every seven days in order to be able to adjust humidity if needed.

This is similar to what I do now. I don't have a scale to weigh with, but I monitor air cell growth and make changes to humidity based upon how fast the cells are growing. Ever since adopting this method, I've had much better hatch rates than when I just tried to go by the recommended humidity settings. All I use for humidity now is a simple gauge built into my incubator that only tells me if the humidity is in the incubation or hatching range.

Back
Top Bottom